Sunday, May 31, 2009

I took the day off. It was a great idea. But first a rant...

I finally tracked down my cleaners last night. We had problems hooking up in the afternoon and I started to do the cleaning myself yesterday afternoon. After 4 hours I headed back to the office gave her another call and finally connected. I went home happy and content that the cleaning would be finished on time.

This morning as I am doing my usual Sunday morning activities...watching Coronation Street and surfing the internet when suddenly there is a knock at the door. This is an inside door that can only be accessed via a locked outer door so I figured it was my neighbour. I was right...sort of. Standing beside her was one of the cleaners. She had come to tell me she needed a vaccuum and some more Mr Clean. Sure, no problem I said. I'll be there when the stores open.

When I closed the door the neighbour goes nuts and yells at me. "Tell your friends not to ring my door bell." I tell her that I didn't know she was coming and that one of our employees told her where to find me. My unit doesn't have a door bell...and I don't have a phone that works so I need to know guests are arriving ahead of time. Then I said, oh and by the way, I need the vaccuum. "About that. I got flack over buying that vaccuum in the first place and it was bought for my unit. Terry had his own vaccuum. I don't think I should have to lend it out. I'm going to talk to (and I'm not sure who she mentioned) on Monday about it."

She placed the vaccuum in the common room and closed her door. I slammed my door closed and cursed her. Spoiled brat.

She wormed her way into getting the apartment...her position should not come with housing--and she is living here rent and utility free. She was given free reign to buy things for the apartment that most of the office disagreed with but didn't know about till too late. She had laminate flooring installed...then bought rugs for all the floors...when the vaccuum was purchased we all disagreed with it. Generally housing comes without that type of accessory and if an employee wants a vaccuum they buy it themselves.

Anyway. She has a company paid for vaccuum cleaner. I live 6 feet away also in company housing and feel that the vaccuum should be shared between the two units. I think she may find that I am right and she is wrong come Monday.

I took the vaccuum to the cleaners, checked on their progress and headed to the office. I called an old friend and had a great chat. I will be staying with her in Iqaluit at the end of June. I felt great when I got off the phone with her. I had vented about a number of things and knew she would understand. Then we chatted about my upcoming trip and her life. It was great.

In the great mood I was then in I decided to go out and take some pictures. I walked down a couple of streets that I haven't been on before and headed towards the dump. I didn't have a particular destination in mind and if I had of planned ahead I would have brought a snack. I strolled towards the dump then headed across the land and found a lot of geese hanging out. I took a few pics and then kept walking. It was a lovely day for a stroll. I walked for about two hours and would have gone longer except that the memory card in the camera was full and when I sat down to delete a few photos the battery died. I figured that was my sign to go home.

I'm charging the battery so I can download the photos...and some day I will get a chance to post them for you. I may need to call in unable to go to work tomorrow. The puddle in front of the house has grown to cover the entire driveway and in fact there is no snow left to walk on. I was ankle deep in water walking to the house this afternoon and it may only get worse before it gets better. I wish I had my rubber boots with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I patiently await the pictures. I know they will be great.

I'm glad you had a great chat with the friend you will be visiting.

The neighbour - the vaccum incident - she has a nerve!

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

When I checked in here this morning I realized my comment I did yesterday isn't here! Darn, I think when I preview and edit my comments (which translates to correcting my spelling errors!) I forget to do the word verification again!!

Now that it's Tuesday, did the neighbour get the news that she alone does not own the vacum? Hard to believe some people are so hard to get along with - obviously she doesn't have much of a life! She should consider herself lucky that she got to stay in that unit - maybe someone should let her know the rules and indicate she should find a place that she would be qualified for - but as we all know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

You must be looking forward to touching base in Edmonton and getting packed for the build.

You're an inspiring person Jennifer, you should do public speaking to young girls telling them about what they can do if they really want something out of the ordinary - which your life is - it's an adventure!!

Take care ... Lori B.