Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What I was really thinking about tonight is the 24 hour light/dark issue. People always ask how I handle it. Quite well actually. I am a HUGE fan of 24 hour daylight. I don’t recall having issues with a night light and needing one when I was younger, but maybe that is selective blocking. Ask my mom.

Lately the sun hasn’t been shining and the overcast sky makes me pretty depressed. Right now it bugs me because the sky and the land are the same colour. White. Picture taking is terrible and the fact that you can’t even watch the sun move across the sky is…blah. In the winter it isn’t an issue for this amount of time because it is generally too cold for lots of cloud cover and when a storm rolls in, it quickly rolls out within a couple of days.

When the sun shines brightly all day and all night many people have trouble sleeping. I don’t. I think it is about trying to keep a routine. Get up at the same time and try to go to bed at the same time each day. When you are home in the evening and it is around 8pm or so close the curtains or blinds. When you get up in the morning open the curtains and let all the light in. I think it is all about the routine. If I leave the blinds open at night then it is harder to get into that routine. Of course when I was living in Iqaluit I did the opposite almost. I would open the curtains just before bedtime. I seemed to sleep better with the light. Maybe my body thinks it is getting an extra long cat nap when the sun is shining in. Whatever it is, it works. And as long as your curtains are not white sheers they will always darken a room some. If you then close your eyes when you go to sleep it gets dark.


That was written a few days ago. Man I am busy.


I downloaded a bunch of pics and realized I don't think I have shared any for a while. I am at the office so the internet connection is fairly good...I'll try and post some. Of course, if I do you will have seen them before reading this post. Oh well.


My apartment here in town gives me pleasure and pain. If I had internet and sound on my laptop I would be a very happy camper. As it is...I have neither. The sound comes and goes...mostly goes when I am at the house wanting to watch a movie and works when I am at the office. Grrr. The whole computer needs to be sent in for repairs. Unfortunately that won't happen for a VERY LONG TIME. Well...kinda. I may or may not be back in Edmonton within a couple weeks for a few days. I have been asked to attend the BOD meeting June 8. So I would fly down on the Friday and back later in the week...I guess. That is still up for debate.


I have more info on my trip to Iqaluit which makes me very excited. What I don't have is final confirmation that YES I can go. I am getting a tad worried, but I guess in the end it will all work out. Right now I am working on finding a couch or a floor to sleep on while I am there. Anyone in need of a house sitter? A few folks that I had thought were potentials are going to be out of town...which sucks cause A) it would have been nice to see them and B) I could crash at their homes. I'm sure I will find a place. The Habitat build in IQ won't be like the India one where I see a lot of tourist things. I've been there, done that...have a few tshirts, but even for the other people on the build it is mostly a build group not a sight seeing and build kind of group.


Ok...back to work. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I hope you are not working so hard you are going to burn out! Be careful about that. I know there isn't much choice when you are on a trip like this.

Pictures - didn't see any. I'll blame it on the computer not cooperating and I'll be patient and wait for them. I know they'll be good.

Edith

Jack said...

Sounds like a good trip so far. I have heard some people put aluminum foil over the windows to keep the light out. Computer needs to go in for repairs? Hopefully you are not referring to your new one.