Monday, May 11, 2009

And now we are in Taloyoak. The airport in Kugaaruk called the hotel this morning...the flight would be in early and we needed to be at the airport by 12noon. Ok. We called taxi and left a message. Then sat down and had some lunch. The hotel was great and had our soup and sandwiches ready for 11:30 instead of the normal 12noon timing. There was another person at the hotel heading out on the plane. He is military, retiring in 5 weeks and had been in doing work with the local rangers. The RCMP had asked him to take a rifle out for them and when he called to tell them our change in flight times also asked if we could get a lift. Sure they said but someone will need to sit in the back. He offered to do it. Nice.

12noon sharp we hopped into the RCMP truck. Two in the back seat and two in the pan. A few minutes later they dropped us off at the airport and we waited for our flight. It didn't get in as early as expected and instead of being 45 minutes early we only left 20 minutes early. So we didn't need to rush our lunch...oh well.

I'm back in Taloyoak. I was here Fall 2007. It was suppossed to have been for one night but it ended up being two or three and I got to watch them unload the annual sealift. This is where I bought my packing doll and a couple pairs of beautiful mitts...which I am wearing on this trip.

Present day...we no sooner got off the plane then we had a ride to the hotel. One of the guys dropping off a passenger has worked for us in the past and was glad to give us a lift into town. I checked in, dropped off my bags and went craft shopping! Back to the little store. I had a purchase in mind. I wanted a tea cozy. I know, I really am an 85 year old woman in disguise. LOL. I want something other than my tea towels to keep my pot of tea warm and this is the perfect one to have. I've seen them before and knew better than to buy one outside of Taloyoak. Why not get it from the source if you can? And I did. They only had one in stock--a very pretty green with yellow flowers. The design is made to look like an Inuit person dressed in a parka...but a very fat parka. I'll post a pic at some point. I also purchased a wall hanging. It wasn't on my list, but it was very nice and even though I don't have much in the way of wall space I got it anyway. I picked up a pair of earrings for my mom...but then when she told me the cost was $50 I said no thanks. Sorry Mom. I love you, but they were too small to be worth that many $.

I'm at the hotel waiting patiently for supper. It is an hour away but I have the munchies. Guess cause I didn't eat all my dinner. Last time I was in town I stayed at the Boothia. This time I am staying at the Boothia...but the new one. They built a new hotel. It is more central to the rest of town and quite nice. Much larger than the old one, more rooms, bigger kitchen. And wireless internet! The only downfall is that they are booked solid tonight....which means I must share my room. My first time ever having to share in a hotel up North. And yes, my roomie has arrived so there is no chance of her flight not getting in.

Continued Tuesday morning...
The presentation last night went very well. We had about 30-35 people show up by the end of the evening. We even managed to get an interpreter. The kids that provided the refreshments were kinda funny...they arrived and didn't have any cups for the coffee. Someone went looking for cups. In the meantime the other girls didn't bother to even make the coffee so it wasn't finished brewing until after the meeting. The cups arrive and I finally ask...do you have cheese and meat? Yes, but no one brought a knife. I was assured that they would be going to get one shortly. Please hurry I asked as the meeting will be over soon. At the close of the meeting there was cheese and meat and coffee with a few crackers. No one minded and we were happy with the way the meeting went.

Back at the hotel I met my roomie. She is up for a few days working at the eye clinic. First time in Taloyoak. I gathered up my work and headed to the dining room to plug away at my files for a few hours. I wasn't tired and she seemed already settled into her bed. When I finally headed to bed at around 10:30 she was in bed, but not asleep. She was having issues with the light outside. I wanted to laugh but didn't...she laid in bed with her comforter over her head trying to block out the light. I didn't sleep well. Guess just knowing someone was in the room kept me from fully relaxing. Maybe a short nap on the plane later this afternoon.

This morning I have nothing to do but work on things I brought with me...and maybe take a nap. It is very quiet and when I finish this post I may head into my room for a pre-lunch nap. Ah, life on the go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

It is so neat to hear about your meetings and you work. We can only guess what you do but the blog update makes us feel like we are sitting in on the meetings and your note making afterwards.

Sharing a room with a complete stranger is weird. No wonder you didn't sleep well. It would be a strange experience.

So much shopping to look at and decide upon. Unless you arrived there with firm plans as to what you would buy making decisions could be trouble.

So you get to travel around with the RCMP in a "safe" environment without criminals or being accused of being one yourself.

Everything is in the "details" - no cups and no knife to cut the cheese. Let's hope it was a lesson learned for them for the next time.