Saturday, May 23, 2009

It's Saturday afternoon and I have yet to venture from the apartment. I came home yesterday afternoon around 4pm. It was nice to leave work early. I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a few things then came home and watched a movie. I put the movie on and within a few minutes fell asleep. It was a wonderful almost 3 hour nap. Finally I have sound on a laptop. I actually traded with a spare one in the office and will bring the broken one to Edmonton for repair in June.

My neighbour is gone for a couple of days so the house is very quiet. She tends to play her music loud enough for me to hear on occasion and the water pump is very noisy so I know everytime they turn on a tap or flush the toilet. And they know when I do. I have the tv up as loud as I want it today where normally I keep it pretty quiet so as not to disturb next door. To combat the noise from the pump and furnace the TV is louder than I would prefer, but since I don't have a remote to change it I just deal with the extra loudness. At least I have cable tv.

I'm feeling a bit sick today. Maybe not enough sleep. Maybe too much.

I was up at 7:30am this morning which is sleeping in some...who knows. I'm probably just tired from work. I decided to take the whole day and do nothing. I would like to do more cleaning at the duplex for our new employee...but that will now need to wait until next week. I still have another 8 days...so no worry yet. I will be at work tomorrow morning before I leave for Kugluktuk and will get caught up on some of the things I didn't do yesterday or today...like the email I promised to send my boss when I left him at the airport on Friday. Oops.

Kugluktuk is a one night trip for another presentation. No biggie. Sounds like the person in Kug did an excellent job of planning it for us. I have been to Kug before and will miss visiting the nice folks who lived there then. Fellow bloggers who now live in Faro. The trip is about 24 hours exactly. We fly out of Cambridge Bay on Sunday on the flight that will continue on to Yellowknife and Monday fly to Cambridge on the flight that will arrive in Kug from Yellowknife. I hope to someday see Kug and Cambridge when it is summer and the snow is gone.

So we have a new employee moving up here to Cambridge Bay. I have been trying to give suggestions on what to pack and how things will be...but it is hard. Everyone takes to the North differently and it is hard to really tell someone what they personally will need. She was looking into bringing up some perishable food and putting dry ice in the container to keep it fresh. She asked where she could buy the proper container. I told her I had no idea as I have never thought about it. I have brought up perishables before but just in a cooler or just in my suitcase. I tried to tell her that she didn't need to worry about it...cause the planes cargo area isn't heated. It is hard to inform without sounding like a bossy know it all.

The weather was nice and windy on Friday which meant lots of slush and some mud around town. Today is is snowing...again. I gotta say I am really missing Spring this year. I guess cause I thought I would be experiencing it is why I am missing it. I hope the bush/tree outside my patio doors isn't finished blooming by the time I get to visit in June. I really need some flowers here.

Living in the North is very different from temporarily living in the North. I have none of my special homey things around me and feel like an outsider in town. I know a few people, but not enough and due to the amount of work I've been doing haven't had time to meet anyone new. It is different from my previous experiences up North. Not necessarily bad, just different.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Yes you are missing spring but I believe your "home town" has received some snow lately. You are more prepared for that where you are now then if you were in Edmonton.

Having missed Spring while you were North previously would leave you more home sick for it this year when you were living some place that actually has a spring season.

That was some good movie you rented to keep you asleep for 3 hours. Try buying it and playing it at night when you can't sleep.

Your whole connection to the "other world" is through you lap top. It must have been miserale trying to work with one that was not working with sound.

You refer to it as leaving work early to go home at 4:00. What do you call it when you work every evening and weekend? Are you allowed to accumulate overtime and take it as pay or time off in lieu?

Get more rest - I think your body is telling you to slow down and rest it and then you'll feel better.

Edith