Monday, May 25, 2009

Taken outside the Catholic church in Kugaaruk. I like the way the seal skins are incorporated into the shrine. It's a bit hard to see in the small version, but in the middle of the picture is a swing. Just like you would see in backyards all across the country. See...the North...the same, but different.


I'm in Kugluktuk this morning. I want to stay. Flew in yesterday afternoon and scheduled to fly out early this afternoon. Community presentation last night that went quite well.
The sun is shining high in the sky and looking out the window is almost painful as the sun is glaring off the white ice and snow..but I keep looking. The sun has been up and shining since we arrived and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. The temperature is a lovely -5 and all around town are signs of spring.
The hotel here is nice. I have my own room, satellite tv and a great view. The food has been excellent and I will be sad to fly out this afternoon. I could certainly handle another day of working in the sunshine. The hotel is called the Coppermine Inn and has been run by the same family since 1984. That must be a record. I'm hoping to get out and go for a walk shortly but am waiting for my boss to call...ugh. Somedays it would be nice to leave technology behind us completely and go back to the telegraph. He was scheduled to call at 10am. It is now 10:20...I'm envoking the no show rule and I'm heading out for a walk.




There were swans and geese along the runway yesterday when we arrived. I had put my camera away by then as the trip down the runway usually does not bring about any photo ops. I will have it at the ready today but will no doubt end up on the wrong side of the plane. But...I did see them. A large group of people were out on the ice fishing and there was a constant parade of families coming back in off the land last night. Families who had spent the weekend fishing or out at the cabins relaxing and enjoying the wonder

ful weather.

I slept very well last night. I left the curtain open so the sun could come in and around 1am there was a beautiful sunset. I was so asleep that while I saw it I couldn't do anything about it. Almost like a dream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love to see the pictures coming! Swinging in the north - good to know kids are kids wherever you are!

Sounds like Kugluktuk is a spot you are (or did) enjoy. Glad to hear the sun was shining for you, that certainly makes things more bearable - a distinction between earth and sky there I assume? With the lovely -5 temperature I guess we can't complain today about a high of 11, most of us are in bare toes now and will be until the fall now. It's a tad cool this morning but the air is so fresh sometimes I think I'm an anomaly as I prefer this to the temps in the 20's. I don't enjoy the heat - I like the air fresh with a touch of crisp in it.

Take care and hope the next stops on your northern journey are as successful as Kugluktuk. I haven't google earthed that spot yet, but I will at home.

Lori B.