Tuesday, May 12, 2009

This morning I didn't really have much to do. Sit in the hotel, see if anyone stopped by with an application form and eat lunch. There wasn't much traffic and I was pretty tired so I tried to take a nap. I didn't have much luck cause thats when people kept showing up. Oh well I thought, I'll nap on the plane. Nope.

Around 1:30pm the taxi showed up and we headed to the airport. After checking in we sat to wait for the plane to arrive. 10 minutes later the phone rang. The plane had left Cambridge Bay, had some mechanical issue and headed back to Cambridge Bay. Please stand by for an update. We did. About 1/2 hour later we got a lift back to the hotel. We couldn't get into the hotel cause the door was locked and no one was there. LOL After a while one of the other guests left and we snuck back in.

I made several phone calls to travel agents, 1-800 lines, airports, etc. Everyone had a different story. We debated and talked about what to do...in the end the decision was to stay here for another night and cancel our presentation in Gjoa Haven...at least for now. Several more phone calls ensued and we were finally able to get keys to rooms in the hotel. Yeah. The three of us are now sitting around watching the Discovery channel.

It is a bit disappointing to not be able to stay on schedule, but with the way things go in the North, not entirely surprising. I'm planning on eating my supper and then heading to my room to hide/watch tv/fall asleep early. Ah, a single room tonight.

I have gotten lots of work done...so I'm not feeling guilty about not doing anything tonight. And who knows, with a fresh start in the morning I just might get some real work done before our flight tomorrow afternoon. There was a fantastic carving for sale here a few minutes ago. If I hadn't purchased my tea cozy and wall hanging I would have been tempted (VERY TEMPTED) but I held back and didn't spend the cash. I'm sure he will have no problems selling it.

Oh, the temptations to have more, more, more. It isn't a shopping habit so much as an exposure to wonderful art work...one of a kind originals...very hard to not be tempted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

We should have known it was too good to be true with your luck and the air flights. I guess you were lucky you could still get rooms at the hotel to stay another night. So hard for us to understand you could go to a hotel and there would be no one there to let you in.

Now that you are in they will have to lock you in so you won't be tempted to get out shopping again!

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,
You're getting lots of miles put on these past few days! Gald some of the meetings were busy, even without the knives, cups, etc. - As long as everyone was satisfied with the meeting I guess that's what counts.

Glad to hear you got a bit of shopping done, always a good feeling to go home from somewhere with something new! If it was me there, temption gets me and I'd have the carving - even if no room now - might be some day. I have no restraint when shopping.

Travel troubles - could be a book there for you! Good the hotel was still available for you all. Hope your planes are on time the rest of your trip.

Take care and enjoy ... Lori B