Thursday, May 28, 2009

This is a siksik. My apologies if I spelled that wrong, but I think it is correct. A siksik is kind of like a gopher but it lives in the North. The burrow in the ground like gophers, but I have never seen one before. I've heard of them, but haven't seen them. I didn't dare get closer, I didn't want to frighten the poor little guy away. They hibernate in winter and come out in the Spring. This is the OLD OLD hotel in Taloyoak.


A map of Taloyoak that is at the hotel. All the important buildings are marked in red. RCMP, Northern store, Co op, school, etc.

If you can read this it is worth a look. Click to make it bigger. Basically it tells you how much the room and meals cost, when the meals are served and when the stores are open. It's an FYI for you.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

The little siksik is quite cute - he looks like a fat squirrel! I googled him and he is an artic ground squirrel. You must have been happy to see him as you had heard of them but didn't see any during your stay up north. The prices are unbelievable, I guess they aren't a surprise to you know that you've travelled so much in the north. Are the prices fairly constant on your travels?

The artic sketch that you think the children colored is neat. If kids did color it, they are certainly great with their crayons, nothing outside the lines!

Doesn't sound like you want to head to Edmonton in June - does it just create more work for you?

Enjoy the sunshine ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I like the pictures. So glad that you got to see the siksik since you had heard of them.

I can only imagine how happy you will be to arrive in Edmonton to your own bed for a while. But back North again so soon?? This is Edmonton's summer. Don't you deserve to experience a real summer again after all your living up north and their summer is so short???

Edith