Saturday, May 9, 2009

It's Saturday afternoon and I'm at the office doing a bit of work.

I arrived in Cambridge Bay Wednesday afternoon ahead of schedule and with both my suitcases. The sun was shining and I don't think I have ever seen such a nice day in Cambridge...and I don't think I will again.

I went straight to work and then had a wonderful walk home along the 'water' (frozen at the moment...but will be beach in a couple months) and unpacked. It was nice to settle into my own place. I lit a few candles, made my supper, read some of my book and fell asleep before 9pm. Some days life is very good.

The next morning I was confronted by the employee who lives on the other side of the unit. Apparently her boyfriend is allergic to scents and I am not to burn candles or use scented products. I lost it and got rather bit*** with her. How could someone not mention that prior to my arrival. Rrrr. I later said what if we comprimise and the nights your boyfriend isn't there I can burn candles. She reluctantly agreed. (We will see how that goes)

The office is the usual state of chaos. The work that I had asked to be done for some community visits wasn't done and I ended up trying to do it all myself on Friday. So if we don't have a room to stay in or no one shows up for our meetings I won't be surprised. Ah well.

My walk to/from work is great. I can either go thru town or I can walk along the water. I choose the water. It might be a bit longer (by mere minutes) but it certainly is nicer. For the most part it is flat and traffic free. I can imagine that I will get to watch the break up of the ice in a few more weeks and that will be nice.

We leave tomorrow for three communities. Kugaaruk, Gjoa Haven and Taloyoak. I haven't spent a night in Gjoa Haven before but I have in the other two. I only wish it was summer so I could see what they look like under the snow. Back Wednesday night. Short and sweet. Hopefully it all goes well.

I must be getting absent minded in my old age or I have too much on my mind. I went to the grocery store the other night and had a list of items to purchase. I also needed new laces for my boots as one had broken in the am. I got every item on my list. Then I got home and as I was taking off my boots realized I had forgotten to pick up the laces. Finally managed to snag them this am before I got into the office.

I brought diet pepsi with me. Not something I normally do. It is trick to pack unless you take a case and even then if the airline decides to freeze it...what a mess. This time I packed it in a cooler and brought 6 plastic bottles (710ml). I have only drank 1 thus far. That is more because I keep forgetting them at the house then anything. Like today. As I was leaving the store I realized I had forgotten my pop at home again. I contemplated going back but decided that I would just try and get by with tea. Believe me, it isn't the same.

The folks back in the Edmonton office are having a few ups and downs. There is behaviour that keeps popping up that is not entirely appropriate for our ages. At least I know it isn't just me as even in my absence the behaviour continues.

So much to do at work. And it is so hard to get it all done on time. Guess I better get back to it. I doubt there will be updates from the road...but maybe Thursday morning when I get back.

Happy Mother's Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Glad to hear you made it to Cambridge Bay without incident, a tad unusual to have everything go according to plan, with luggage and even arrive a bit early! A sign of good things to come for you I hope. Sounds like you will be very busy there as what you had wanted done prior to arrival didn't happen, that doesn't sound promising if that is who you will be working with while you are there, doesn't sound like the person is professional or concerned about their own job.

Scents .... most of us like them as long as they aren't too overpowering. I'm curious about what kind of walls are between the units if they could smell your candles as they aren't usually that strong that the scent would go through walls !!

Sounds like a nice jaunt to and from work if along the water - hope we get to see some pics!

I just did a google earth thingy to see how far apart the 3 communities are - I assume you travel in a 6-8 seater plane - and how long is your flight? Google Earth makes it easier to understand how far north you really are!! No wonder there's still snow and ice. The pictures of sunsets in Cambridge Bay on google earth are spectacular! I hope you get some of those rich colors to see while you are there.

Cheers (with a diet pepsi).. Lori

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Glad to hear the trip is going well and you have our own space and internet connections. Don't be surprised you were tired - too tired to take pictures. You don't realize how much it takes out of you to do the presentations - not knowing how they will be received, etc. Listen to your body and rest when it tells you.

Edith