Saturday, May 16, 2009

No rest for the wicked...must have been written about me. I must be a wicked, wicked girl seeing as I don't seem to get time off anymore. I worked all week, today--I think, is Saturday and I've spent my day working at home and now at the office. Tomorrow is a mixed bag. I was going to work all day but found someone to cook supper for me...so I'm going to work in the morning and watch someone cook all afternoon for me. Nice. Monday is technically a holiday. But I haven't decided yet if I will work or not. There is simply soooo much to do that taking the day seems like a waste. Maybe I will let the weather decide. Sunny day=No work. How's that for planning?

I was grumbling all of last night and most of today. Certain people are scheduled to work until 6pm and for 2 nights in a row were not there. I got miffed last night when I called over for a ride and discovered that I was the last person still working. According to one source they have changed their hours. I'm not sure how I feel about that...or if I believe it. But I am leaving the issue for now. There are so many fish to fry it is hard to know where to start. Like the employees who decide on their own that they will be working OT on the weekend. Their Supervisor only works 2 days a week so she doesn't know how much (or little) they get done during the week and always just signs off on the time sheets. Hmmm. I question getting paid OT when one takes two afternoons off during the week and then claims for OT on the weekend. Seems a bit fishy if you ask me.

Yes, I found somone to cook for me. The crazy thing is that because he is an employee I need to be very careful about how this is done. I have asked another employee over for supper...kind of as a chaperone. I am not interested in getting involved with either employee...but people will talk regardless. So I figure that a third person will help make things seem above board. Which they are anyway...but small towns are terrible for gossip. My supervisor is scared to come over to my unit for supper (and an evening of work) for fear of people thinking we are involved. I get it and agree with him. Unfortunately we need to hash out a few hr things and a bit of privacy where we won't be overheard would be an excellent idea. Oh well. Small town rumors are even bigger in a small office.

The sun was shining for a few minutes today. And the melting is happening. The drip, drip, drip off the roof was a very pleasant sound and the sight of more roadway is always a bonus. After winter comes dust season which is quickly followed by bug season and then back to winter. As a bonus though one gets to experience dust and bug season under 24 hour day light....which in my opinion makes is all worth while. I will need a night light again when I hit the South.

Next weekend I am going to do some Spring cleaning on a house that isn't mine. We have a new employee moving up and the nicer of the two units smells like smoke. Ok, reeks might be a better word. It's the place I stayed in February. This unit has been vacant since November and yet the smell of the smoke still haunts as if one had just lit up a few moments ago. Yes, the unit was cleaned, but no one cleaned the curtains, pillows, etc. I'll go over and see if I can make it habitable. And a bit of house keeping never hurt anyone...so it will help clear my head. Speaking of which I should do some dusting and sweeping at my unit before I have people over tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Sound like you are still travelling on your northern expedition and therefore it is pretty hard to have scheduled time off and I can see how you want to keep on top of the work. But working endless days will take its toll on you so look out for Jennifer - no one else will.

The work issues re who should be there and isn't and taking overtime when they are or are not eligible - bless your little heart and good luck!

Small communities always talked and always will so even meeting the supervisor for a drink to hash out the HR issues probably won't work. You may have to result to emailing even if they are staying in the next room!

Your nothern life will prepare you for all the temperature, bug and daylight hours you have to deal with. Better for you that you are prepared then someone who would have no idea.

Lori is taking a little R & R visiting her son. She'll probably play catch up with the blog when she returns.

Edith