Saturday, May 2, 2009

It's Saturday morning. There are birds chirping outside my window, the sun is shining and the temperature is going to reach double digits. What more could one ask for of a weekend? Nothing.

I am writing up my list of things to do before I leave for the North. I'm heading up on Wednesday for about a month. Yep, a month. Lots to do and lots to pack before I go.

I checked my fridge this morning and it seems to be ready for my departure. I have two cheese slices left, some pancake syrup, partial bottles of capers, ginger and garlic, a couple tablespoons of pepper sauce (for chicken), half a bottle of soya sauce, an open tub of margarine and an unopened bottle of salad dressing. And that is it. (Well, technically at the moment there is also a half bottle of diet pepsi...but that will be gone before I finish this post...excuse me for a second while I go to the fridge.)

There are a couple loads of laundry to be done...why is it that laundry never seems to go away...like dirty dishes. I need to clean the bathroom and the kitchen and then the house is done...oh yeah, and I need to put away the mounds of clean laundry. And pack a couple of suitcases.

The list is getting longer by the second. Some for fun, some necessary things. At the top of the list is getting my passport photos done. I need to send in my passport for renewal before I head North or it won't be a renewal it will be a new application. I can't believe how fast 5 years can go. I am hoping that the new passport will take me to Italy next year. I have been making some plans for a trip in March. (Update...diet pepsi has been taken care of and will not go to waste.)

I know I haven't posted any pics from my last excursion...maybe later this weekend. But I am sure that over the next few weeks there will be a few more interesting pics from the North. I'll be doing a tour of all 5 Kitikmeot communities but will be in Cam Bay for most of my time.

One of the ladies in the office mentioned the other day that I would be able to save a lot of money while I was up North. She is under the mistaken impression that there is no shopping. I said that it would likely cost more. There are so many wonderful things to buy including a new fur for my coat, some kamiks I saw on my last visit (kamiks--boots), carvings, drawings, meat. So many choices! LOL. I think she was surprised. She shouldn't be.

Alright. I'm going to finish my lists and head out the door. By the time I'm ready to go the stores should be open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

I expect by now your list has grown quite a bit! A whole month working north again, you must be looking forward to that. I hope the staff you work with up there are great people - makes it so much more bearable. Enjoy all your shopping while you are there. I hope you will be able to keep blogging!!

Italy sounds fantastic! Anyone I know that has gone thoroughly enjoyed it. 2 of my nieces were there last year, sort of a school trip, but not quite. They were at the Cdn. War Cemeteries that are there, and what was so neat is my uncle(dad's brother) is buried in Ortona and the girls got to his grave, which was cool for them as the only other family member ever to visit his grave was my mom. DVA does a fantastic job of looking after the sites which is so great!

Take care and if I'm not on again before you go, I hope you have more fun than work!!

Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I'm playing catch up on the blog today. Started with the pictures you posted and then to the write up. I liked the pictures but you did have winter weather to deal with on the drive. I suppose it is hard to shed winter when you are in the mountains. So glad chicken could attend with you. Maybe some day he and snow ball can get together and share stories of their travels. Looks like snow ball had a great time in New Zealand and now Bali.

I hope the office staff will fish sit for you while you are gone for the month. Some how I missed that bit of news from the past. I wonder how you will enjoy travelling for a month for work - sure beats sitting at a desk all day. I'm going to assume this has something to do with spreading the good news of that procedures manual you worked so hard on completing.

Mean while back on PEI we are eating fresh lobster and I expect the Frosty Treat is open and if not will be soon!

We await news of your nothern adventures during the next month. Stay safe, stay warm, and stay happy!

Edith