Sunday, March 22, 2009



Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. I am finally resting. The butter chicken is on simmering, the curry is on the stove brewing in its own juices and will soon be giving off wonderful aromas. The rice pudding I have wanted to make for weeks is done and tastes very yummy. It is an Indian pudding of sorts. I didn't use basmati rice, I used a sweet rice I bought in Newfoundland almost a year ago now...but I did use cardamon seeds, a vanilla bean and coconut milk. Mmmm. And I attempted the naan bread. Phew.

Had a phone call from an old friend from Pang. She lives in Yellowknife now and called to see how I was doing. She is the one that taught me how to make butter chicken and is impressed that I was attempting the naan on my own. (Me too!)While on the phone with her I managed to go through all my flowers and toss the dead/dying ones and re-cut the rest. I am down to one vase, but am happy with that. Pics to follow.

There is a winter storm advisory on for Edmonton at the moment. It would need to get A LOT worse before I would consider this a storm. It has been snowing all morning but there is almost no wind. It would be great if it got worse around say 7am tomorrow, but that is wishful thinking. Yesterday was spring like in the afternoon and there was a lot of water on the roads. That has refrozen and I am glad that I don't need to be out driving today as I suspect the roads are a bit icky. The lovely taste of spring though did boost my spirits and take my mind off the fact that I must return to my day job tomorrow. Sigh.

I didn't make it to Whyte Ave. I was feeling too lazy in the morning and then once the sun came out I was busy running errands and getting groceries. I finally got the package off to my niece and nephew yesterday and will be keeping track of it as it makes its way across the country. Maybe I'll get to Whyte Ave in the upcoming weekends.

Here are some not so exciting photos of the naan and flowers.


One of the petals that didn't make the cut. As I look over at the vase I notice that I left the petal on the floor still.


My Indian rice pudding. It may not look great but trust me it tastes good. I just hope it freezes well. Interesting but not noteworthy is the dish the pudding is in. I purchased this in China town in Montreal a number of years back. LAH who is currently on world tour with her husband was with me and purchased the same dish. It is fantastic!


The naan bread. It goes great with Indian food or any kind of food that has a sauce to it. It is my first attempt at making naan and I think I will definitely try it again. Next time I will roll it out thinner. Live and learn.

And now some flower shots...




3 comments:

Just me said...

Post supper note...the palak paneer was terrible. Must be the canned spinach. Oh well. The paneer I put in the curry is delicious. The naan turned out wonderful and I will definitely make it again.

Lori, paneer doesn't dissolve in the food like cream cheese would. But that is a good idea. Try it in a stir fry!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: What neat pictures of your flowers. You are a true photographer making a picture out of anything and making it beautiful. Snow in March - nah it won't stay, I repeat - it won't stay. We have to believe that. We got a touch of the white stuff last night ourselves. The city got more than the country - ha ha says the country girl! Once more week of March and then I consider winter over. Any snow that comes in April doesn't count.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

What a shame that the canned spinach ruined the paneer meal. I hope that dish didn't take too long to prepare! A few of my friends are into the naan bread, they don't make it though, they buy it. I might try the paneer sometime.

Your flower pics are fantastic! What a great eye you have, you are so good with your camera! I love your dish that you got in Montreal, it's really unique looking, not the typical pottery you see here.

Hope your first day back to work doesn't tire you out too much.

Lori B.