Thursday, March 19, 2009

One of the corners I found myself on this afternoon.



Today was fun.

I headed downtown this morning camera in hand.I only took 89 photos and considering I was out for a total of 2 hours (plus a few more not downtown) is rather unusual for me. I asked people where I should go and what I should see. Beyond telling me where the shopping malls were I didn't get much in the line of 'must sees'. One item I did check out was city hall and it was nice but I don't think I need a second trip. Even the girl at the Tourism Centre wasn't much help. Oh well.

The nice man at the parking lot I parked at was very nice, friendly and helpful. It wasn't a flirty thing, he's old enough to be my grandfather. He told me to come back anytime and I probably will.



The under-major-controversial-is going to look fabulous when it is done-renovations at the Art Gallery of Alberta. I hear a piece on the radio the other day about how much steel was going into it and the special rock being used on the outside, etc. It sounds impressive and I look forward to seeing the finished product.



I'm not sure where or when Alberta developed a love for pyramids, but it is evident that there is a love there as they are all over the place. I spotted this one downtown. The three banners across the front say University of Alberta and something about celebrating a 100th anniversary. I assumed it was a U of A building. Nope, it is city hall. There is a sign on the right-hand side of the building that says city hall but it is behind a bunch of trees and the big tower. No wonder I was wrong, but I did go back coming on the end of my trip and realized my error.




This is where CBC radio (and tv I guess) is in Edmonton. They always talk about their view of Churchill Square and comment on the folks walking by. Today I had the thrill of being on the radio (maybe). I was approached by a CBC reporter and asked if I'd comment on the arrival of spring in Edmonton. I chatted with her about it and said that while I had seen a couple things I didn't really see any signs of spring. She thanked me and we both carried on with our days. Don't know when I'll be on and no one outside of Edmonton will get to hear it but it was neat.



This building had some appeal to me as I wandered around. It is part of a hotel/inn in downtown Edmonton. I would gather it is nice inside as real estate in this part of town is BIG $$. I like how they kept the old sign.



And I love how the cut a hole in the side of the building so they could add extra windows to the hotel. Very creative. I just wish they had put a garden in as well instead of just air ducts.



View from afar.

I love the name of this place "Chicken for lunch". Apparently it is THE place to go for lunch in downtown. The line up is huge every day. I didn't have lunch there but will defintiely come and do it some day. How could I not have lunch at a place with Chicken in the title.



I just thought this made an interesting photo. I like how dirty the boxes are. They will be shiny and clean in the summer (I hope!) but right now with the dirty snow around the bottom and the splashes from the road they are a dirty mess.


Is there anything happening in Edmonton? Apparently yes! This bill board is covered, rather neatly and politely with ads for all kinds of shows and concerts. Again, not sure why, but it caught my eye. LOL.

Looking up inside the pyramid roof at city hall.

One of the outside features of city hall. I wanted to try and capture the perspective of the columns.

This is where I had lunch! Fat Franks. Mmmm. Nothing says spring like 'street meat'. That's what my friends call it--yuck. I just think of them as hotdog guys. They have regular hotdogs, veggie dogs and sausages. I had a lovely hot italian sausage with spicy dijon mustard and ketchup. Mmmm. And just around the corner I ran into the girl from CBC again. Mouth full of food I told her I had found a sign of spring. She laughed and then made me do it again on tape. LOL.

Probably the only French sign I have seen in Alberta.


Blue sky of spring. No buds on the trees yet...but I'm sure it is coming.


The sign I didn't see telling me what building I was looking at. If you go back to the pick of city hall I first took I think you will see why I didn't get it the first time around.

Happy Bhudda. This guy is outside Lucky 97 Market. It is right on the corner of Chinatown. He made me smile.

The lightposts, bus stops and telephone booths in this area all have the 'China' look. I think the store paid for it. Adds to the atmosphere though.

Heading toward one of the entrances to Chinatown as seen from my truck.


Beautiful old building surrounded by sky scrapers. There apparently are lots of these hidden gems around the area. Guess I will need another day to find them.



In case you don't know what to do at a pedway the feet are there to help you out.

I had a wonderful day. After leaving downtown (2 hours) I wandered around a bit of Chinatown, bought some yummy coconut buns at a Chinese bakery and then wandered around Lucky 97. An hour later I was on my way home. Two hours later I made it. I decided to stop at the Salvation Army I missed the day before. Then overheard the location of a Goodwill a couple blocks up. I missed it the first time round but found a Walmart. I ordered myself a bike...which may be ready by Monday from Walmart and then finally made it home.

Yes, I overdid it today. But I had a good day and I can sleep in tomorrow to make up for it. I have another destination in mind for another day but don't know if tomorrow is the day...I might rest up tomorrow and then head out on Saturday and take in the Farmers Market at the same time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I feel like I am a tourist and just had a walking tour of Edmonton. Thanks! I enjoyed it. I love your eye for the "unusual" for your pictures. The newspaper stands and the bill boards were colorful and the telephone booth in chinatown was definately worth a picture.

You were out a long time so if you over did it, I can see why. We will understand if you have a "stay at home" day today but I'm hoping for another tour on Saturday with more pictures.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Ditto to what Edith said about the walking tour. I enjoyed it as well and my feet didn't get tired at all!! Pics were great - nice to see some of the unordinary sites.

I hope you rest today so that you aren't to sore and can enjoy the rest of your time off.

Take care ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Lovely tour of Edmonton, thanks!