Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dating in the modern age...

Ok, so I've technically been single for a LONG time now. It doesn't bother me to be single, but every now and then I really want a partner to do things with. When I get these feelings I start to wonder how one goes about finding a partner in todays world.

I don't like going to bars. I mean I enjoy the odd night out at a pub for a drink or two, but it is unlikely that one will meet someone in a room where the music is so loud that having a normal conversation is out of the question and a lot of the lines floating around are there for just one nights entertainment, not a long term commitment. I'm not into that.

There are these events geared towards singles in cities of this size. I would prefer to not attend alone and as of yet haven't met any single girls to tag along with me.

If you think back to a few years ago I did attend a speed dating event in Charlottetown and while it wasn't disastrous it certainly didn't end in any additional evenings out for me. I haven't been brave enough to try it again.

Online dating has been around for a long time. I have talked to and heard about a lot of folks who have met this way. And hey, the internet is a big part of my life so it makes sense I would try it. I've dabbled over the past few years and have had limited success.

I met a gentleman on line a few weeks ago and well...don't get your hopes up. I think I may entirely pack in the online thing. The latest guy is too, I don't know...tooo something. He has two cats. And while I know some guys with cats he seems to make them his life and hide behind them. All of the pictures of him have at least one of the cats in it and he went on for about 20 minutes the other night about them. I don't know much about him, but I know all about his cats.

So sorry cat boy, but it isn't going to work out.

****

It is snowing today. The wind is scheduled to pick up and blow around. I have a list of things to do outside the house but think I will put them off until tomorrow or early next week. The thought of fighting Saturday mall traffic in these blustery conditions doesn't sound like fun so I will pass for now.

Another care package arrived from PEI this week. Yes, Canada Post finally delivered. It seems to take forever. The cookies arrived in excellent shape and I was happy to see some of my favorite books show up in the box. Thanks Mom.

It is March and I am anxiously awaiting Spring. Maybe too anxious for it. The inches of snow that have fallen over night are making me wonder if it will ever come. I know it will and that I will likely return from my next trip to Cambridge Bay to find it is spring in Edmonton. Yes folks, there is another trip to Cambridge Bay being booked for the end of the month...just another one week trip. I'm starting to become a regular on these flights. LOL.

We've had a temp at work the past couple months and she is/was terrific. Her laughter was infectious. Her attitude was great and I appreciated her being around. She lives the kind of life I want in a way. Her and her hubby do lots of trips around the world. One or two trips a year. Not always exotic glamorous trips, but always exciting. She brought in some extra travel magazines she had. I've been drooling over them ever since. I've planned a dozen trips in my head since bringing them home. Sigh. I'm going to try and book something later in 2009 for either Christmas this year or late winter 2010. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

You know what you are worth so don't settle for a man is not what you want.

Doesn't sound like the "cat man" is the one for you.

Winter is getting us all down. Keep on the positive side, one full week of March is gone by already. Technically we can say that winter is over after March is done. Yeah, we can get some storms in April, but we don't count them. Bring on the sunshine and warm temperatures.

You gotta love the teasure boxes from "moms"!

Edith