Thursday, March 26, 2009

It's Thursday evening. It has been a very long week. I am relaxing this evening with a glass (ok, maybe two) and pizza. Ah. Sometimes life is very good.

I'm off to Cambridge Bay on Monday. And then back to Edmonton on Friday. It will be a long week for me even though it is a very short trip. Most of the meetings will revolve around work that I have done. I will be presenting it and taking feedback. I am expecting resistance for a significant portion of it. I will three people in the room backing me up on the whole process...and a couple of friendly faces, but it will still be an emotionally exhausting week.

I should be doing work right now. Yesterday afternoon I 'worked from home'. Which meant that I took a 3 hour nap, went to my dental appointment and then picked at a few things in the evening. I'm tired this week...body still recouping. I think taking tonight off is a good idea, I will be fresher tomorrow and able to work a bit later than if I had of tried today. (At least that is my theory)

One of the ladies at work apologized to me today. She said "You actually are trying to make a difference in all this stuff (payroll issues) and have come up with good ideas." Yes, yes I have. It was nice to hear her say it. She finally admitted she was a bitch to me when I started and that it wasn't warranted as it really wasn't me, it was the position and threat to her job. I hope she finally truly understands that we should be working together, not fighting each other. Let's face it folks--payroll and human resources are closely linked.

So..up North next week. One of the ladies going North with me has never been North before. I have been trying to fill her in on things she might need to know. I don't think she has a very good winter coat and her boots are...well, ok for spring, but not spring in the Arctic. I'm taking my parka...only cause I hope to take a couple of walks, but it is warming up in Cambridge Bay. -23 at the moment, -34 with the wind chill. It will be neat to show her the ropes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I can understand that your body has to adjdust to a work schedule again and just because you feel fine first thing in the morning doesn't mean you will at 3 p.m. I hope the trip to Cambridge Bay won't do you in and bring you back exhausted and sick. Pop those vitamins!

So happy to hear that co-workers are coming around. Fear of change is normal. To resolve that fear is hard. Sounds like you are resolving it. Imagine how hard it must have been for her to come to you and apologize and admit to how she was treating you. You may have just gained a great supporter in the office dynamics.

Enjoy Cambridge Bay - take your camera! Enjoy your walk and seeing those "friendly faces".

Edith