Sunday, March 29, 2009

And the winner is....my mom.

She was able to correctly identify the flower in my bouquet at "Wind Flower" or Anemone. You too can have these at home...simply plant and voila! Flowers. Ok, it wasn't a contest and she doesn't win a prize (but there is a treat en route to her) but I am happy to know what the flower is/was.

It has been a very quiet weekend. I spent most of Saturday napping on the couch, followed by a full evening of sleep. Ahhh, sleep.

Sunday I did manage to venture out and finally hit Whyte Avenue. It was ok. I think it will be better in the late Spring/Summer when the trees are in bloom and there are more people around. Of course I have some pics but again, I think they will be better in say another month.

Picked up my bicycle this afternoon and am looking at it from across the living room. It is going to reside on my deck, but I don't have the heart to put it outside yet. It is still too cold for a bike. (Ok, the bike doesn't care, but I do!) No pics of the new bike or new specs yet.

My trip to Cambridge Bay has been postponed. It was a last minute thing. Very last minute actually. At 3:45pm J came into my office and said "Is there any reason why we can't postpone the trip by one week." I'm sure a very enthusiastic look came over my face and I answered "No!" And then as he ran down the hall I shouted "Next Friday is Good Friday!" Ok came back the answer we will go Sunday to Thursday. A few more minutes of hesitation and by 4:15pm I was on the phone with the travel agent re-arranging the flights.

No one in the Edmonton office is disappointed by the delay. In fact it seems to be better for all of us. Whoo hoo. I am looking forward to the extra week in the office, but I need to put some major time in to be ready for the meeting. This week it would have been...oh, it's ok rush job. Next week there will be no excuses (other than laziness) for not having a perfect presentation.

One of my favorite restaurants in Ottawa--Elephant & Castle. Great pub food. They do a fantastic beef dip. I'll need to come back and check this one out.

Located in what they call "Old Strathcona" or Whyte Avenue, this hotel was built in 1891 and is one of the oldest wooden structures on the South side of Edmonton.

Part of the Whyte Avenue charm.


I'm not sure. This is a new and used car dealership that I passed. The flapping of the banners was a very pleasant sound, almost like laundry outside in the summer.

I loved the look of this place. There are murals all around the building and their mascot is a frog. They are not open on Sundays, but during the week they have three lanes of 'washes' to choose from. I just thought it was one of those charming things that has likely been around for AGES and is an icon of sorts.

See the trees down the middle of the street and lining the sidewalks. That is why I think in another month or so it will be really nice.

The sign says "Old Strathcona Heritage Area".

This humble gentleman was pushing his worldly possessions around. I feel terrible for the homeless and am glad to support groups and organizations that try to help the situation. In the 'big city' this is an all too familiar site.



An inukshuk found on Whyte Avenue today during my travels. It's so you will know--I was here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Sometimes things happen for a reason and the delay to Cambridge Bay nust be for a reason. Sounds like you need the extra rest time from your surgey ordeal and you will find the energy to get prepared. Mind over matter they say.

I loved the pictures. So they have an Elephant and Castle in Edmonton as well as Ottawa. I too have been to the one in Ottawa but not for a very long time.

I really liked the comparison of the banners flapping in the wind like laundry on the line. Are you sure you are not a poet?

Edith