Friday, September 12, 2008

TGIF
It's been a long week. The new job isn't over whelming. In fact it is underwhelming me. It would appear that they are not entirely sure what to do with me and my job description is basically the admin ass't's JD with a different title. So we have a few things to get worked out. I admit to being tempted to quit earlier in the week. I was being treated poorly and was rather frustrated. I didn't quit, and I wouldn't do it so quickly, but the first impression is generally hard to shake.

I spent most of today arranging and re-arranging the office. I think it looks much better but there is still a lot of work to be done. The files are overflowing and most of it could be put in boxes and sent to storage. There are more binders than I have ever seen in my life and that kind of scares me...cause I'm not big on binders. I'd rather see nicely organized hanging files. I spent about 1/2 hour going through the Staples catalogue picking out the office supplies I will need to make my work flow better. I put on a determined face this am and got it done. Of course the internet for the entire floor of our building was down all day so there wasn't much else to be done. I did steal internet for a while but then decided to call it a day. Most of the staff in the other office had already left and when I walked out the door at 3:40pm only two people were left and I told them to leave at 4pm. Not that I am their supervisor...but still.

Monday and Tuesday I have some big meetings and am hoping to get some real good work out of them. "I'm here!! Use me!!!" That and the pep talk I got from JP via facebook seems to have helped and I think by the end of September things will be much better.

Went out to supper last night with an old friend from HS. It was great to catch up. We hadn't seen each other in about 8-10 years...we really weren't sure when we last saw each other. We are taking some of the rest of the gang from back then out for drinks next week...hopefully.

Tomorrow is my first day of training for the PT job. Should be interesting. I hope I'm not the only person over 30 working. It this job doesn't work out there are a ton of places around my apartment I could work at...but I am hoping that this is a good fit. Heck, I will get to see all the Flames games for FREE. Then after training I'm off to supper with a couple that I met and built with in India. We are going for...naturally, Indian food. YEAH!! I can't wait to see them and catch up on everything.

What are you doing over the weekend?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheer up!! It's going to be fine..you will do fine!! It just takes time, that's all. Try not to 'over-worry' about it, one step at a time, one day at a time.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Sounds like the new job blues. Perhaps your expectations were high. They will soon find out the talents you have and want to put them to good use. Just let them know you can really help them if they would give you a try. I just know the Flames job will go better!

Edith

Anonymous said...

I am dying to know how the weekend training went and this week goes with the new set-up (and with the return of your admin).

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the honorable mention!

Jan from the Island