Sunday, September 21, 2008

I’ve started this blog entry in my head several times since May. Yep, May. Since I am finally geographically removed and the timing is right I am finally going to write and post this. Starting in February/March of this year I was told that the Premier would not be running in the next election. He was tired, had had enough and wanted to move South to be closer to all his kids. (Oh, and he only has 3 kids with 2 different women. The two oldest from a long term relationship and the youngest child from a shorter relationship. I add this only because I hate when people say he has kids all over the territory from any number of women.) I had heard rumors that he was going to run in Pangnirtung where he might stand a better chance of getting a seat this time, and was told that indeed that would not be happening. So I believed what I had heard. He would not be running. He would be seeking employment in the South. And that ladies and gentleman was straight from the horses mouth...not just rumor.

Recently I heard that he is indeed running again. Here’s what I think happened. He put some feelers out to contacts in the South and other Premiers and Federal officials letting them know that he would be available for another position of responsibility. I don’t think anyone wanted him. And now he must run in this election or face unemployment.

Think about it. He has been running a territory of about 30,000 people for two terms. Most cities are larger than 30,000 people. I can imagine that trying to create a new territory has many, many challenges and there is a lot to do...but what have they done? A lot of people suggested that the gov’t should have taken the NWT policies and just done a cut and past NU for NWT. I agree. At least to keep things moving. It has taken 9.5 years to get an Education Act. The old one could have been amended many, many times and been done faster. But...what do I know, I’m just a stupid white girl from the South.

Can anyone from below 60 degrees tell you his name? I didn’t think so. He hasn’t done anything incredible, amazing, memorable in his terms to make one of these Southern companies want to hire him. His name isn’t recognizable and his track record isn’t impressive enough to get him a Southern job.

And let’s faced it...once you’ve been Premier in Canada you shouldn’t really need to flog your own resume. They should come to you. I’ve worked in HR. If I saw a resume that listed lawyer and premier on it...I’d wonder why he couldn’t find a job on his own...and why he hadn’t been head hunted. Heck, I’ve been hunted in the past.

I don’t live in Nunavut anymore but that doesn’t mean I’m not concerned. I didn’t leave because I think the place is beyond fucked up. I left for personal reasons. Would I consider moving up North again? Yep. No doubt about it. Heck, I am trying to see if I am still eligible to vote in the upcoming election.

Ok, so this entry was a long winded comment about nothing....but at least I got to write it. Honourable Premier of NU...(I don’t want to offend him again by calling him by his name....right Paul?)...good luck with the election. Oh, and Ms. Elisapee Sheutiapik YOU GO GIRL. If I was in your riding I’d vote for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer

You had that bottled up inside you for a long time. I hope you feel better now that it is out!

Maybe you should go back and run for Premier against him.

Edith