Monday, September 15, 2008

I'll post on the weekend later...right now a quick vent.

I was told on my first day of employment that I smelled and needed to do something about it. No, I didn't have sweat smell from the terror of a new job...my hair or clothes or deoderant had a scent to it. Apparently I am working in a SCENT FREE zone. I personally feel, (and so do most of the other folk on the floor), that we should have been told this during the interview. There are no signs up when you enter the floor stating we are scent free...and frankly it is a pain.

I was told no scents in my laundry detergent, bounce sheets, antipersperant, creams, lotions, shampoo, conditioner, etc. etc. etc. I asked around and most folks have not changed their entire lifestyle in order to accommodate and that I won't need to. I have no issue with not wearing scented products...but I also don't want to go out and buy all unscented products. What about the 6 months worth of stuff I have on hand???? Am I only to use it on weekends...that would be a lifetime of shampoo.

This am I go in to meet my new boss...and she tells me I stink and to not come close to her. Yep. No nice way to say it I guess. She is going to call me later and discuss the agenda for the next meeting instead of just meeting in person...cause I am a horrible smelly person and can not be in the same room as her.

I don't know what to do. I don't think my hair stuff comes unscented...not that I think it is scented to begin with...it certainly doesn't have a smell to me. And what about my body wash...does anyone know of a body wash that doesn't have a smell?? HELP.

I'm not unsensitive to medical reasons for being scent free...but there are certainly better ways to handle this kind of situation and if you can't be nice about it...well...lets leave that unsaid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... Well... I'm sure if you smell nice, if you do actually "smell." :-)

I've worked in "low scent" environments for about 10 years and they're never tried to ban fabric softeners or deodorant (thankfully). Pretty extreme and not your fault.

B.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, Have you got my message at your e-mail account?
jaaques