Sunday, September 28, 2008

I'm quiting my job. I am meeting with my 'boss' this afternoon and letting her know that as of 4pm I am finished.

I haven't taken this decision lightly. I don't like to fail at anything and while I have moments of seeing this as a failure they are few and far between. I mostly see it as a bad fit. Right from the beginning it was a bad fit and I knew it, but I wanted to 'give it the old college try'. I tried.

Rather than postpone the inevitable I am finishing tomorrow (Monday) and will spend my days searching for another position. I am viewing the whole thing like a relationship. You spend the first few dates feeling each other out and deciding if this is someone you want to spend most of your days with. In this case the job and I are breaking up. It isn't going to work out. It isn't just the 'boss', I can deal with personality issues, it is the bad feeling I get when I look at the books, the files, the way the meetings are conducted, the whole thing. I don't want my name associated with the organization so I am pulling out.

I still like Calgary and have no plans to leave the big city. There appear to be lots of other jobs and I'm sure if won't take me long to find something. Heck, I already sorta had an offer in the elevator. LOL. Fear not friends. I will be working again soon.

In the meantime though I will get to explore a bit more of downtown during the day and finish unpacking. With the two jobs I have found that my evenings off are spent just relaxing and not getting settled. It won't take much longer to get settled. A trip to Ikea for some additional supplies and some re-arranging of furniture should do it. I will feel better about the ability to have people over and to come home at the end of a long day knowing everything is in its place.

I just emailed my resignation letter to myself at the office and am not looking forward to the conversation, but I'm a big girl and can handle it.

One of the staff (from the big office we are located in) put her resignation in last week. She was offered better hours, reduced work week, more money and a new set of tires. LOL. Some people just don't get it. It isn't about the driving. It's about the destination.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

You are so brave.

Jan from the Island.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, I guess after reading anything about the job - it isn't a surprise that you are leaving there to seek something that's a better fit. Hopefully you won't be too long between jobs, but as you say, it's some time to check out a bit more of the city and sites.

Good luck this afternoon - and have a nice big glass of "something pretty" this evening and toast yourself for staying long enough to know for sure that it wasn't the job for you - onward and upward!

Cheers ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Congratulations. Not a moment too soon I think. We were all prepared for this and I suppose some of us would wonder why it took you so long. You know you have all our support with this decision. From today's email I don't think you have any choice but to resign. Never think of this as a failure. If you have concerns regarding how this business is being run and your name being associated with it - that is no failure. Resigning is a smart move.

The right job is waiting for you in Calgary just like that right apartment was waiting for you.

Just be open to believing that and you'll be employed again in no time.

Edith

Carolyn H said...

Good luck! Truthfully, from your blog posts, it didn't sound like a good fit.

Carolyn H.

Anonymous said...

It will! be ok..You are very smart, and you will do what it takes to get a job that you want to do. I have faith in you. As you said, take a few days 'off', then begin your next journey :)!!