Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ok, so the weekend didn't go quite as planned. I never made it on a walk...except for groceries and back.

I had my interview Saturday morning, if you could even call it an interview.

"Do you like hockey?"
Yes.
"Do you know all the Flames players names?"
No. But I'm sure I can learn them all.
"Have you ever been in a stressful situation at work? How did you handle that?"
I gave the story of the student I kicked out in St. John's.
"Have you ever worked retail?"
Yes. About ten years ago I worked in a clothing store.
"Can you handle doing cash?"
I assume so. I have been responsible for a $2million budget the past couple of years.
"Ok. Great. We'd like to offer you the job."

So we chatted about what to wear, hours, etc. I had my id pic taken and I am to show up for orientation next Saturday at 10am. Almost the easiest interview I have ever had.

After the interview I called a pal and we hit the mall. Some window shopping, some good food and then a trip to Ikea. I have book shelves. They are wonderful. Ikea is wonderful. I even had help putting them together. Yeah!

Here is the empty shelves...


And so that was Saturday. I spent, hmmm, I can't say most of Sunday, cause there was a fair bit of watching dvd's and generally pacing of the apartment, oh, ok and some reading...but a good portion of Sunday was spent perfecting the shelving arrangement.

Here's how I spent my Sunday...



Across the top is the wonderful plate I got from Michelle, the nurse whose family stayed in my unit in Pang when I was on vacation (July '06). The harpoon I bought in Resolute Bay. The narwhal Qavavow bought in Arctic Bay (maybe?), and the first carving I bought in Nunavut...also a narwhal. A beautiful vase made in Rankin Inlet, given to me by an Eskimo man that I had a thing going on with for a while. The vase is filled with Arctic cotton. A piece of drift wood from Southern Labrador and a parka person also purchased in Labrador. And my packing doll.

Yep...lots of memories.

I finally have most of my books on display. I say most. Not all. There is a box still in the closet. A drawer full of cookbooks and rubber tote also full of cook books that are not on display. And my Lucy Maud collection is in the bedroom.

Among the books are shelves of my treasures. Each one has a bit of a story or a memory of when I bought it and I'm happy to have them all finally out on display. Stop by some time and see for yourself.

Tomorrow (today by the time most of you are reading this) is the start of week two at work. So far...so good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

You never cease to amaze me. You have one week in a new job and you are looking for a part-time job with the Saddledome!! They would be fools not to hire a personable girl like you.

The no pay for 4 weeks is a bit of a killer. You'll be happy to see a pay cheque for sure.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: I like the bookcase. The before and after shots were good. The description of the "goods" in the book case was great. Now you have a piece of the North living with you.

Sounds like the apartment is shaping up and we forgive you for not going out for that walk. Makes more sense to get unpacked and thoroughly settled in. Once you are working part-time at the Saddledome you won't have time for unpacking.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: I like the bookcase. The before and after shots were good. The description of the "goods" in the book case was great. Now you have a piece of the North living with you.

Sounds like the apartment is shaping up and we forgive you for not going out for that walk. Makes more sense to get unpacked and thoroughly settled in. Once you are working part-time at the Saddledome you won't have time for unpacking.

Edith

Carolyn H said...

Congrats on your new job! I hope you like it. I hope the 4 weeks without pay thing isn't too difficult.

Carolyn h.
Roundtop Ruminations