Friday, December 5, 2008

My addiction.

I am addicted to Diet Pepsi. When does addiction turn to a problem? Some say it is when you allow it to run your life. You don’t go out with friends or you miss work because of it. Maybe you need it in order to get out of bed in the morning. Or you need it to perform certain tasks. Hmmm, I’m bordering on problem.

I love diet Pepsi! I love the sound the can makes when I pop the top. I love listening to the bubbles of carbonation. I love feeling the bubbles burst and bounce down my throat. I love the taste. And I like the way I feel when I am drinking a diet Pepsi. And I am always very sad when I don’t have any more in the house.

I’ve never hidden my addiction. It has never stopped me from going out, even if I know the restaurant I’m going to doesn’t serve it. I’ve never missed work because of it. Ok, maybe I’ve been late the odd time because I needed to pick one up before heading to the office, but I’ve never missed a full day because of it. It has never hit me or caused me to have violent mood swings or blackouts. It is available over the counter. Heck, it is legal to sell it to children.

I had the guys in my last office programmed to go and get me diet Pepsi if I was having a bad day. People have been known to meet me after long periods of absence with a DP in hand for me in lieu of flowers. And while I am addicted, I really would rather the flowers. I will refuse to drink other diet beverages from brand name companies. I’d rather drink something else entirely than force myself to drink a substitute. I have been known to pay close to $20 for a 12-pack during desperate times. I’ve never stolen a diet Pepsi. And I would never steal to get one. I can usually scrounge up enough change to buy one. I’ve been drinking one as I write this. In fact the can is now empty and I don’t have anymore with me. I still have 41 minutes to go. Oh no. Whatever shall I do?

Hmm. Guess I better go make a cup of tea instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Diet Pepsi is not my drink. I'm a regular Pepsi drinker. I just don't enjoy the diet one as well. No a diet coke is much preferable over the real coke. No comparison there.

Edith