Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I'm a commuter. Most of you are too, but it hit me the other day as I was waiting in traffic that I am a commuter. My drive is pretty short most days and by most standards. The drive on a nice sunny day when I am ahead or behind rush hour traffic is about 10ish minutes. That is a good day when I catch the lights. I don't mind the drive it is enough to help me relax at the end of the day and in the morning it ins't so bad...it just seems like part of the work day. Here's an interesting commuting fact for you "78% of Americans drive 40 miles (64 km) a day or less" Wikipedia. Most mornings my drive is 15-20 minutes.

I have two main routes now that I take to and from work. One is on the Yellowhead highway and the other is on 137th Street. I haven't decided which one I like best or which one is faster. On days when I know the roads are going to be a bit slippery I take 137th. It moves slower than the highway and I figure I'm less likely to get into an accident. I don't know if there is any truth to my theory but it works for me.

One of the problems that I find though with this route is the train. The first morning I got stopped at the railway crossing I was excited. A real live moving train. I watched it go ahead and then back as it switched tracks. It was interesting to watch and two minutes later I got to continue on my way....so I wasn't late. Last week I was on 137th again and hey...up ahead, its the train. Fun. 16 minutes later when I am now officially late for work and have wasted a ton of gas sitting idling waiting for the train to go ahead and back. Not so much fun.

I was a bit surprised that they allow the train that much time to make the switch at that time of the morning. On the side of the tracks I was on it is fine. The traffic just backs up back to 137th (the track would be about 128th)...no biggie. On the opposite side of the tracks is one block back to the Yellowhead highway. I have seen a bit of traffic back up, but can't imagine where it would all go for the 15 minutes that I was waiting. There simply isn't the space for it. Now, maybe the folks on the Yellowhead side are smarter than me and can take an alternate route...but I'm not yet. I like my routes and my routine. I don't like to venture off cause I end up on long round about ways of then getting to my destination.

The Yellowhead is commute central. On days when I feel like I'm a big city girl and can handle the 'pressure' of rush hour traffic I take the Yellowhead. It really isn't that bad. It is just three lanes of traffic moving in each direction. There are exits to take and crazy left hand and right hand turns to make but it really isn't that bad. Just busier than 137th. If I want to come straight home the Yellowhead is the most direct. If I am stopping at the grocery store, post office, etc then 137th is my best bet.

Not very interesting details of life in the city...but something that was on mind.

I have found a photography course to take in January. I'm going to see if I can still sign up for it. Finally a chance to learn how to use my new camera properly.

Hey, it's Tuesday and my week is going really well. I'm not sure why or what has happened, but the week is awesome. I'm getting a ton of things done...I still have ton to do...but you know the list is starting to get lines on it as I cross items off. Payroll was last week and I think it went well. I will find out Friday when people get their deposits. Our regular payroll person has been off the past couple of weeks and I am stepping in. I have a few payroll reports that I need to do and will perhaps attempt them tomorrow....maybe.

The job has been better the past couple of weeks than it was...maybe I am just getting into the swing of things. Maybe it is the new staff or part time staff in the office that have been responsible for the changes, but whatever it is I'm happy about it. My policy and procedures manual is almost finished. I have a few sections left to do, but am happy with the progress. I have spent the past couple of days doing job ads and job descriptions for positions I have up till now been unfamiliar with. It has been a good challenge for me. Nurses I know...Heavy Duty Mechanics...not so much.

I've hired two fantastic folks since I started and have let one staff member go. After Christmas there will be a need to hire about 150 new staff...LOL...yes, 150. No, we are not being negatively affected by the recession. Thankfully most of them will be quick simple interviews and I am hoping to train someone else to help with them, but yeah...it will be a big job. And it will mean some additional travel up North...WHOO HOO! The 150 get us through our busy season and by September/October we will be back to the 40 or so employees that we presently have.

No comments: