Friday, December 26, 2008

I cooked a turkey for myself for Christmas. Just because it is turkey for one doesn't mean I shouldn't have it. Why I wonder are so many people concerned about it? Oh, that's a lot of meat for one person. Why would you want to cook a turkey for yourself? Etc...etc...

I like turkey. It is traditional in my family to have turkey on Christmas Day. I am not stupid enough to eat a whole turkey in one sitting. And turkey for one is just as good as turkey for 20. I cooked the turkey, made the dressing, cooked all the veggies and had a great meal. Today I ate leftovers and then cut all the meat off the bird, boiled the bones and froze most of the meat. Tomorrow I will make the actual soup, put it into multiple freezer bags and freeze it. Nothing better in January when you don't feel like cooking than homemade soup. And if I am feeling ambitious I will make a turkey curry. MMMMM, curry.

Christmas day was delightful. I got up, opened my gifts, chatted with the folks in PEI and watched some tv before getting my dinner ready. Everyone had a great day and many wonderful gifts were exchanged.

I am trying to enjoy my 4 days off in a row to the fullest extent. Which means doing as little 'work' as possible. I have a friend who wants to visit and frankly...I'm not in the mood. I want the whole four days to myself. This guest would require constant attention and I'm not up to it. I'm tired and want to relax. Which means no entertaining. I'm trying to figure out how to postpone the visit.

Today I made a necklace and earrings from some beads I bought at Dollarama last week and made some alterations to a sewing box I purchased to use as a jewelry box. It wasn't work that needed to be done, it was just fun things to keep me busy.

The temperature is slowly climbing and by tomorrow they are expecting we will break -10. We have been hovering at -25 for a couple of weeks. Hasn't bothered me, but I may get out for a walk if the sun decides to shine and the air warms up some.

I also had a moment of d'oh today. I awoke at 6:30am and decided I should get up and make myself cozy on the couch to watch Coronation Street. I was lucky in Iqaluit cause it came on at the reasonable hour of 9:30am. Here in Edmonton it comes on at 7:30am...on a Sunday. So I often miss the first hour of it. But today...today I was going to watch it all. I turned on the tv and decided that I would suffer through CBC cartoons for an hour while I waited. Apparently I fell asleep. I awoke at 8:15am and wondered why it wasn't on...what was going on? I checked the tv guide and then it dawned on me...today was not Sunday. My body/mind are so programed to day off followed by Sunday that having yesterday off meant today was Sunday. I am happy to report I have two more days off.

I hope everyone reading this had a wonderful holiday and that Santa came to visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Having time off work without having to use holidays is so wonderful. It is a 'down time' when you say I "will" or I "won't" do something and you allow yourself that small pleasure.

I expect you are back to work today like I but I have taken Jan. 2 and 5 as holidays so I can have another long weekend!

I try to catch Cornation Street a couple of times a week just to keep up! I can watch it at 7:00 p.m. though - a much more enjoyable time of the day for watching tv.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like you are going to get (or did get by now) some well deserved "me time" over the holidays. I hope it all worked out for you.

And yes, it doesn't matter if it's 1 person or 101 people for xmas dinner, turkey is the thing to have! No one says it has to be a 20-25 lb turkey you cook. I'm almost jealous as we have always gone to parents place for dinner and never have the joy of the leftovers! I quite often cook a chicken so we have some leftovers to talk about to - I like to talk turkey like everyone else!! (I wish I was there for the curry!!)

Would love to see pics of the jewellry you are making now.

Hope you have a great new year and will be in touch. By the way, I like the picture on the new blog home page.

Lori B.