Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It’s Tuesday afternoon. This getting off work at 4pm thing still throws me for a loop. Although I rarely seem to leave at 4pm. I often end up in interviews or a meeting with my supervisor and then don’t get home until after 6pm…which makes for a long day when it starts at 7:30am.

While this may sound stupid I find myself having issues with the lack of daylight…more here than in the North. BUT…I think I know why. When I first arrived in Pang the days were getting longer and it was all very fascinating to watch the sun climb up over the mountains. In Iqaluit it had just become a way of life. Here in Edmonton the difference is that I haven’t seen most of my route to work in daylight. I am up and on the road before the sun comes up and most days I am in the office until the sun sets. Oh sure, I see the light out my window during the day, but I have no idea what the streets I drive down look like…in the light. It is an odd sort of feeling. Or maybe I am just falling off the wagon into insanity.

I am anxiously awaiting late January or early February when I will get to see where I am going and have been. I don’t take the same route on weekends when I go places otherwise I would have the opportunity to see the streets then. In fact, I have not gone back to the same store yet…with three minor exceptions. 1. Ikea. I could seriously go every week and not be bored. 2. The grocery store down the road from work which I visited for the 2nd time today to pick up lunch. 3. The Superstore that is on my route to work…the first time I went I forgot my wallet and had to drive home and then back so I could get a new bankcard. There are so many stores and places to go. And the West Edmonton Mall…well, I haven’t been since I officially moved here. Go figure.

I bought myself tulips today. I have a thing for them and find them hard to resist when I see them in stores, peoples lawns and public gardens. I bought two bunches. They are sitting on my desk staring at me at the moment, but will be coming home with me later tonight.

Which reminds me. Ikea won the battle last night. I was attempting to put together my dresser and..I couldn’t. I like to think I'm a pretty clever girl..but Ikea has finally beaten me. The instructions are simple. All pictures. No words. My problem is some 'screws' that I can't get into the wood. They are plastic and have threads on the bottom inch but the top 1/2 inch has no threads. No problem you say. The problem is that there is no hole on top to put in a screw driver or drill bit....if I had drill bits..hint hint Santa! I can't push them in and my attempts at hand screwing them in are also not working...so I'm kinda stuck.

The living room floor is covered with pieces from the dresser which will now need to wait until the weekend to be put together. And there may be wine or vodka involved. I might as well enjoy myself while I curse the Ikea engineers.

The presents are all wrapped. They are even all in a big box almost ready for mailing. But I can't send it yet. I want something else for my parents. I'm not sure what, but something. And part of me won't allow me to send the box yet. Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas? Nope, me either.

And on a totally unrelated note I wore cufflinks today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Cufflinks - i didn't think anyone wore cufflinks anymore. Some people might not even know what they are.

So many stores that you haven't been to very many twice - that is interesting.

Putting together your dresser with instructions - I'm very poor at following instructions to put things together and if what Ikea sold you was not properly prepared then you would have problems.

I can appreciate your "sun" issue. But the days will start to get longer very shortly so hang in there.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, it can be very frustrating trying to put something together with instructions. I prefer pics to words, best is to have both of course! Hope the dresser is one you really like with all the work it's requiring, a cool glass of something will make it easier I'm sure!

Cufflinks are, and I think, will always be a fashion statement - there are some pretty cool ones around. The problem is most blouses don't have the link holes for them.

You've been in Edmonton how long ?? and no big mall yet ?? I can't imagine - I think that would be a weekend event for me - I've never been to the Edmonton Mall but have heard lots about it - some day I'll get there and if you haven't been yet - I'll call and invite you !!

Take care ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Ikea has a phone help line... I've heard that they are actually helpful...