Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's Saturday morning. My week is over. Phew. This past week went by really quickly at work actually and I found myself getting a lot done. Guess I'm starting to see the downward slope of the learning curve, at least on this current project.

We had pizza and wine at work on Friday. It was going to be a chance for all our staff to be together, new and old. It didn't quite work out, our newest staff member couldn't make it, she doesn't start until January and her current pt job called and asked her to come in. Can't blame her, shows good work ethic as far as I was concerned. And she said she'd try to stop by Monday or Tuesday with cupcakes!

I've been working on a policy and procedures manual for work. Not my first, in fact this will make 3 that I've had to create in the past few years. This one though is a little larger and a little more important that the others. The first one I created was for the fisheries school in Iqaluit and with only 3 employees it didn't take a lot to complete the basics required to say we had 'rules'. Show up for work, if you don't, call. If you don't call or show up I will put you on probation. The one I did in Calgary was almost identical to the first one...with only two employees again, it didn't require a lot of work.

But now, now I need to create a manual for 40-200+ employees. And there are many more variables that need to be considered. The most basic is that we have employees working in two different areas--Alberta and Nunavut. Different labour laws. The hours of work for each area is different and we have employees who work at remote camps who are under different rules again. It's been a real challenge to make sure I have all the other areas covered. It seems like every day I think of another section I could/should add. I hope the folks that review it understand that it is a work in progress and can be added to at a later date. I'm hoping to have it completed by the end of December.

Today I'm making a list and checking it twice. I'm coming up with a list of goodies that I'd like to have over the Christmas season. Food and movies. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Love Actually is one of my new favourite Christmas movies. And The Holiday with Jack Black and Kate Winslet.Very cute. And Die Hard!!! And New Years means Bridget Jones' Diary. I dunno know why.

Christmas requires chips and dip - for some reason this is the only time of year I eat dip. Spinach dip and pretzels. Red pepper jelly with cream cheese on sociables is divine. I eat weird food at Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

You are a brave soul to go to the West Edmonton Mall the last Saturday before Christmas. I'm glad you lived to survive it.

What an interesting day you had on Sunday. I hope you will really enjoy your Christmas with Nemo.

Edith