Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rumors. I heard a rumor the other day that Tim Horton's is opening in Iqaluit. Apparently there is some truth to that rumor. They will have those mini kiosks in a couple of the local convience stores and the North Mart will be making/donuts.

There are mixed emotions for a lot of people about this. I commented on facebook the other day that I think it is both interesting and exciting. Part of me is dead set against the idea. The additional litter is so not needed in the North. The litter on the tundra makes me sad. Yes, there are two privately owned coffee shops in town but I certainly think there is still enough business to go around. They were great places to go in sit down and have a chat. The kiosks will be more for when you just want to grab a cup and go--no seating. I'm not sure how the pricing will fair with Tim's in the South--doesn't really matter.From a health side I don't think this is a great idea. The last thing most of the poor need in Iqauit is more sugar and fat laden foods in their diet.

Exciting. Sure. I can't name one person who wasn't excited to see a box of tim bits walking in the door when an office mate returned from the south. I know families who would freeze donuts and bring them out on occasion for a treat. Having access to the same treats as those friends and family in the South will be nice.
*****
Went to the Humane Society tonight on my way home from work. I saw so many cute kitties--I wanted them all. I resisted the urge to put my name on any of them and will wait for Saturday when the kids come along to help me out.

TGIF is in sight. Thank goodness. I really need a good nights sleep and a day with no work in front of me. Sleep in Saturday will be nice.Now I just need to catch up on Coronation Street before Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Do you think Tim Horton's will also open their new ice cream store up North? Should be easy to keep ice cream frozen.


Kitty shopping day - wonderful. Good luck and only pick out 2!!

I forgot you were a Cornation Street fan. Funny how we have to see it but yet get frustrated with the characters. I guess that is the success of the script writers.

Edith