Sunday, October 17, 2010

The party went off with nary a hitch. The cake balls however never got made. :( I baked the cake I purchased--carrot cake. Then decided once it was all made that it wasn't a great choice. It doesn't crumble the same way a vanilla or chocolate cake would. I'll try again for the next event I go to.

It is always nice to see old friends. I thankful and grateful for all my friends and look forward to seeing this same 'gang' again. I certainly hope we make a more regular schedule to our getting together. Maybe schedule is the wrong word but just more often. Everyone has busy lives and it is hard to coordinate all the schedules.

For my mom's birthday in September my sister gave her the gift of 'we will paint and paper the downstairs bathroom.' After weeks of looking at paint chips the colour was selected and my sister and I picked up the paint today. Our goal was to paint the ceiling and mud the upper part of the walls. There was a change in plans upon arrival and the weekend project has now turned into a multi weekend project. It is going to be so great when it is finished! It will just take a lot of pushing to get it finished sooner rather than later. I know my parents are already anxious for it to be finished as they have a toilet sitting in the dining room.

My kitchen is now functioning as a kitchen. The dresser that I found at the Habitat Restore and painted is sitting proudly in the kitchen. It has lots of space for storing those big bulky items that take up precious cupboard space--slow cooker, popcorn maker, etc. And there are5 drawers in it that will allow me to have a junk drawer, a drawer for my dish towels, lids for tupperware, etc. I can also put my toaster oven on top so it frees up counter space which is so precious. With this new found sense of kitchen I am hoping to do some baking again. YEAH!!

Oh, you may not like this reminder but there are only 68 more days till Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Glad to hear the gathering went well. I googled cake balls and they sound fun! I can understand how a carrot cake may not work as the carrot "chunks" wouldn't be easy to make balls with. Some of the ones I looked at were very detailed!!

Mom's gift - she's a lucky lade to have you and your sister to do that for them. Maybe you could be my mom's surrogate daughter? She'd love someone to do that stuff, however, that's not me I'm the one that requires help from her usually!!

68 days of shopping left ... that means not to many pay days though!!

I'm flying out of here in 10 minutes - to the airport and then Ottawa ... can't wait ....

Chat soon ... Lori B

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I couldn't get access to the web to reply the other day. So whatever brilliant comments I was going to make at that time are now gone.

But I'm glad you social event went well and what a neat idea for a birthday present. You are all practised with the painting and I didn't know that wall papering was another talent you had.

Good luck!

Edith