Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It is day two of the job and things are going well. I almost finished all my packing last week. Ok, I could have…but you know, I wanted to relax and be completely unwound before this past Monday. There are three or less boxes to pack. And I will be there when the movers are so I can finish it then…no date for that yet.

Sunday afternoon I headed out for Edmonton and arrived relatively unscathed. I had a close call on the highway. I had slowed down to let a couple of cars merge and well let me just say a) people don’t know how to merge, b) if someone gives you space to merge…just do it and c) I will never go out of my way to let someone merge ever again.

I was more than a bit nervous about my motel. I didn’t make the reservation, one of the girls in the new office did and she said it was the best she could do. There is a big rodeo event on this week and most places are booked. So I was set to check into the Royal Western Motel. The internet search I did ahead of time turned up only bad reviews and it certainly lived up to them.

Don’t get me started on how confused the check in lady was…but once I finally had a key I was definitely under whelmed. The carpet had so many stains on it I wasn’t sure of the original colour. The fan in the kitchenette unit I had was covered in that greasy, grey fuzzy dirt that fans tend to build up after years of use and no cleaning. The sheets had cigarette burns in them and the bathroom floor was…ick. The people in the room next door were fighting, security stopped by and kicked out about 4 or 5 people but left the woman who had rented the room….at least until the next am when she got kicked out. There were fights at least every hour during the night and lets just say I didn’t feel safe.

I stayed the one night and checked out Monday am. I went into work and my first order of business was to tell them they needed to find me a new place to stay. Luckily they did and boy what an improvement. It is a luxury executive apartment/hotel. I have a two bedroom unit and frankly it is bigger than I expect my apartment will be. The fish seem to appreciate the room and chicken is enjoying the tv in both living and bedroom areas.

Day two on the job and things are going well. I am starting on a hiring policy….if anyone has one to share…please do. I’d rather edit and add then start this thing from scratch! I have begun emailing ads on apartments and am waiting on responses to view some. Hope to find something fairly nice and at a decent price.

Nov. 17 I will be headed North to Cambridge Bay and can’t wait. I don’t know anyone there anymore, but it should still be rather nice to just be North again. I hope to pick up some musk ox jerky while I’m there. Also on my shopping list is a nice black pelt. I want to replace the fur on my winter coat and add a fur to a new coat that I bought. A whole black fox pelt will run around $300ish, but it will easily give me two hoods and two cuffs. I think the white pea coat I bought would look amazing with the black fur trim. And I’m hoping to get weathered out/in in Yellowknife at some point so I can visit my friend Nancy!

That’s all for now. I haven’t taken any photos, but I will. The sunrise out my hotel window this am was pretty nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I've been checking the blog regularly for an update. I am so glad to hear from you. I was going to say "and all is well" but after a near miss on the highway and a scene out of a movie for a motel night - that saying just doesn't fit. Thank God you did survive that one night and if you had slept with your truck keys in one hand and your cell phone in the other - who could blame you!!!

I'm so glad that the new job seems to be one you will enjoy. I hope apartment shopping will be totally successful with good accommodations and a great rental price.

Thanks for updating us.

Edith

Anonymous said...

LOL....only you would know how many hoods and cuffs you can get out of a fox.

Too funny!

Jan of the Island