Sunday, November 16, 2008

I'm sure everyone was as glued to C-B-C N-o-r-t-h as much as I was on Friday awaiting to see who would become the Premier of the territory. And I'm sure you were just as thrilled as I was when it was announced the Eva won. Yep, they elected a woman. Ok, the election was a couple weeks ago, but because of the concensous gov't they run in NU the MLA's elect who will become Premier. It is an interesting way of doing it. YEAH Eva! There are many people happy about this change. And now...on to other stuff...

It's Sunday afternoon, I'm doing a bit of unpacking, playing scrabble on facebook and generally just relaxing my day away. Tomorrow I'm off to Cambridge Bay, Nunavut. As long time readers will know I've been there a few times before so I'm familiar with my home for the next week. And as per my usual course I haven't started packing yet...lots of time.

I will be staying in the company bunkhouse, not the local Co-op hotel. I'm a bit nervous about that. I'm sure the accommodations will be clean and warm (hopefully) but it's the privacy I'm concerned about. I may need to share..hopefully not...my bedroom. And even if I don't need to share the bedroom, I will have no real private space. No tv to click on and just relax, unwind and detox from the day. I live alone and I'm used to my private space. My ability to be around people all day and be 'on' when I'm in work mode is evened out with my ability to have me time at the end of the day. My understanding of the bunkhouse is that the only way to have me time is to escape to my room...and that is seen as almost an insult to everyone else staying there. I know the problems of the world seem small compared to my not having some privacy....but this is my blog and this is how I feel at the moment.

And I'm a tad concerned about the food...one of the staff will be cooking...not the cook. I think he works in the shop as his day job...and then will be cooking for me. yikes. Can we say cross-contamination? Salmonela poisoning? Heart burn? Indigestion? I'm a tad nervous about what will be put in front of me...so I will be needing a trip to the grocery store to stock up on filler. Which I have done on every trip in the North and in Labrador.

I'm not going to be well liked by most of the people I am going to meet. They will have the same feeling that the people I work with here in Edmonton have...that I am there to evaluate them and fire them. Hmmm. I'm not. I'm still in policy mode. I have no desire to fire anyone, and even if I did, it isn't my choice it is the managers decision to make. I can't just walk in and randomly start letting people go, it doesn't work like that....but that is what people think. I can't help what they think, but it is stopping some folks from getting to know me. Luckily I was hired for my thick skin and ability to know that it isn't personal. Most people are afraid of change and I represent change.

Sigh.

Who would like to do some laundry and packing for me??? Anyone? Mmm, that's what I thought. Oh well, guess I will do it myself.

I spend part of last night on the Ikea website checking into my future furniture purchases. I want it all! LOL. Ok, maybe not all, but a few pieces. I won't bore you with the list, but I may force you to view pictures once it is all finished.

I left one fish in Calgary with a friend. I can't travel by plane with two of them. I mean I can, but it is a bit tougher than with just one. So at least on a temporary basis, one of my fish lives in Calgary. The other fish is here with me...and is going to be tested this week to see if he can handle the apartment on his own. I have special food for him that according to the package will feed a fish for a week. I hope it works. If it does work it will mean that on short trips like this one I won't need to take him with me. When I'm gone for longer than a week I will either need to pack up the fish and take him with me, or find a fish sitter. I'm hoping that after a couple months here I will know a few folks and can ask someone to fish sit and water my plants.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How mature....you thought ahead and found a fish-sitter! Too funny. How did you decide which could go it alone and which still needed adult supervision?

Jan from the Island

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: On the road again! You could start your own tv show and give Ronstad some competition.

We could say you have a "flying fish". Just make sure you have the right water in the bottle this time.

Sounds a bit challenging to deal with people who are not looking forward to your work visit. Hopefully all will go well.

In many ways this is like coming home for you. Hopefully you will see some old friends.

Safe journey.

Edith