Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I got the apartment. Apparently they move faster in Edmonton than Calgary. I will have the keys by Friday evening. I talked to the movers today and had all the arrangments made...but need to change them. The one day I was hoping to have off to be in Calgary I can't have. So I still don't know when I will have my belongings back, but it sounds like I should at have them by the time I get back from Cambridge Bay.

I was casing the joint tonight and arranging the furniture in the rooms. It's very exciting.

Work is interesting. I don't know wether to laugh or cry over this...but the smell thing has risen again. I made tea today. Apparently some folks in the office have sensitive noses and tummies. The smell of my tea put this lady off her lunch and I am not allowed to make it ever again. I just don't get it.

We also met the new President today. He isn't really new to anyone...he was Chair for the past little while...but today was his first visit in his 'official' capacity. During the meeting I could sense some definite hostility directed toward me. It isn't me...it's my position. Apparently one of the staff has been pointing out errors and problems the company has been having in HR for the past few years. She feels her talk has fallen on deaf ears. I have come along to fill that role and they still feel slighted. It was an interesting day.

I have thick skin and didn't take the position stuff personally...but wow. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife for a while.

It is going to be a very challenging position and for the next year there will be lots to do...so I won't be bored!

Now I just need to learn some of the special functions of my camera before I head to Cambridge Bay on Nov 17th! I hope I get a chance to get some great Northern Lights photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My goodness, those Western Canadians sure do have sensitive noses. Send them down east to smell the salt water (and Irving pulp mills) for a few days.
Jan from the Island