Sunday, June 27, 2010

Survived another camping trip--but am down a couple pints of blood due to the mosquitos. Met up with my friend from Banff and I think we both had fun. Here's a few pics from the trip...










This is a picture of where we hiked on Wednesday morning...taken from the top of the hill. If you look closely you can see where the river is, just beyond the lighter flat green area in the center of the picture. We hiked to the river and back. The up part was pretty difficult--the very heavy rainfall from the night before turned a lot of the clay into mud. Getting a grip going up hill was um, interesting.


See the 3 deer? I did. They watched us for a few moments and then bounded down the hill in record time into the grass and then disappeared. Awesome!

I was hoping to catch a cactus in bloom but was unsuccessful...maybe next time.

Chicken of course came along for the trip. I thought I had a replacement bear--Bubba, but I think I am going to return him to Walmart as he is a bit too big for putting into my day pack.

Oldish farm tractor found on the side of the road after crossing the ferry.


The first night of the camping trip was a bit wet. Within a half hour of my arrival in Drumheller the sky opened and the rain, thunder and lightening began. And the rain came down hard. Like any good camper stuck in a rainstorm we went to Walmart. After wasting as much time as possible there and walking out into more rain we went for supper...and then the rain stopped. Yeah! The tent and everything inside it was...dry. Yep, no flooding issues. A nice fire was started and some marshmallows eaten. Mmmm, campfire marshmallows.



The hike Wednesday morning was great--about a 2 hour jaunt in total. Followed up with a ferry ride and then lunch back at the campground. We spent the afternoon wandering around downtown and getting laughed at by the locals--as you can see from the pics above we (I) may have been hamming it up a bit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I really enjoyed the pictures from the camping trip. Sounds like you girls had fun despite the rain. I was scanning that picture for those 3 deer and thought I was blind not to see them. Then I realized I was looking at the wrong picture! I was relieved to see the 3 deer in the next picture.

Sounds like you enjoyed this camping trip as much as your first.

Edith

Jack said...

Yes, saw the 3 deer, & loved the 'dino' pics, lol! Beautiful area to take a trip to..ps- also love the kitchen tile floor! Enjoy your new apt!!

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

Pictures are great! The tractor is the same vintage as the one Joe uses to cut a couple of fields here, it was his dad's and still works great!

Other than the rain it sounds and looks, like you and your friend had a grand time camping, rain didn't dampen the fun!! Roasted marshmellows sound so yummy!!

We had a quick little jaunt to Moncton to see number 1 son, and he was great and we had a lovely little visit with him (and, of course, a bit of shopping).

Lori B.