Friday, February 26, 2010

Airport...again. I haven’t flown in months and yet the airport is always a familiar place. Screaming children, tired commuters, harassed gate staff and security. Let us not forget security. There must be sign on my forehead that only security personnel can read that tells them to select me for the extra security check.


When I say full, I mean FULL. There was cupage of breasts involved. It wasn’t a palm full, but using the underside she literally moved them up and down. I was starting to get more than a little bit embarrassed and was seconds away from asking to have this done behind a screen. Amazingly enough I passed and was allowed to carry on to my gate and call my therapist. Being molested at the gate in an airport is certainly reason for a therapy session.

I made it to the gate with plenty of time to spare. My preference when flying is to arrive early...about a half hour before the one hour cut off. It gives me peace of mind knowing I am seated in front of my gate and not standing in line waiting to check in. Getting my boarding pass was a breeze and I have no checked luggage on the to Victoria portion of my trip...you never know on the way back—there could be an amazing find. I’m only there for 3 full days which really only requires two change of outfits. One outfit appropriate for a work thing Friday morning and the second for two days of strolling around the city. I am happy to wear the same jeans two days in a row...they just start to get comfy by the end of the second day. Chicken is neatly tucked away in my backpack—he’s never been to Victoria.

No real plans while I am hanging in Victoria, just some walking, picture taking and relaxing. I might even check out the hotel pool.

My check up at the Dr’s went well this morning. He said everything looks good and that the speciality clinic that I had been going to has fully discharged me and with any luck I will never need to go back—ever. The results from this final test will be in while I am on the Island—PEI, but he doesn’t expect anything out of the norm and I am booked for..wait for it...3-6-5 days from now! Whoo hoo. Back to the annual torture.

I know my tiny brush was minor compared to the struggles and journey other people have had to face, but it was my journey. It forced/moved up my departure from the North and has certainly changed my life in a few ways. I am certainly not taking for granted the need for regular check ups or to live life to its fullest because you just never know when you might not be able to enjoy it any longer.

*********
 
Supper at my hotel Thursday night was AMAZING. The view was terrific and the food superb. I had the duck. That sounds so boring when you say it like that. The duck in fact had a pomegranate and something sauce and you know...,it was fancy 4-star restaurant food. I opted for no appetizer and held out for dessert. I had the chai brulee. Terrific.
 
Friday morning work went well and I then had HOURS to wander before the supper I'm getting ready to go to. I grabbed my camera and away I went...pictures will follow once I get to PEI and get a chance to upload...or they may need to wait until I am back in Edmonton in mid-March. On the advice of someone I headed to the Royal Albert Wax Museum. Umm, yeah. I don't need to go back. It is pretty neat...the displays are very life like...almost too life like. I HATE horror movies and this was almost a horror movie come to life. Each mannequin I expected to start talking or moving or something. It was a very weird feeling. The eyes seemed to follow you and it was freaking me out. Combine that with the dark hallways and grotesque section I went into (they had a special section of horror--which I really should have skipped) it was nice to get back outside into the fresh air and light.
 
Next stop an underwater aquarium. It was interesting. Not quite what I was expecting, but still nice. If you are heading to Victoria you can give it a miss though. They we not having their 'live' show today so I got in at a discounted rate..and I really wouldn't pay more than that for the experience.
 
You might think that after those two negatives I would just pack it in but a bottle of wine and head to the hotel. Nope. While the weather is definitely chilly--ok, maybe not chilly but definitely damp my good mood could not be dampened. The whole city is in bloom. Cherry trees covered in blooms. Daffodils. A few tulips. All the flower boxes are full...not fully in bloom yet, but planted and definitely colourful.
 
I spent about 4 hours walking around the downtown area and haven't even come close to covering it all.
 
Now to see if I can find a fabulous restaurant to eat in tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

My word, that security check at the airport was above and beyond. I'd be more than embarrassed with that happening and not in the privacy of a room!!

Victoria sounds lovely and so Springy. You'll be lucky to find a few crocus blooming on PEI.

We'll just have to put on some bright smiles for you!

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

I'd almost miss my flight I'd be so embarrassed about a check like that - a bit much in front of everyone! Sounds like Victoria was more pleasure than work and that's a good thing!

You hardly have time to unpack, repack and maybe get a day or two in at work before heading home for vacation.

Looking forward to lunch ...see you Friday ... Lori B.