Tuesday, February 16, 2010

This will be the final time I talk about work on my blog. After this the blog is only for photos, trips and extra-curricular.

Those of you who read my blog on a regular basis might know that I have been stressed out lately. I appreciate all the love and support I have been receiving.

Yesterday I did the hardest HR thing I have ever had to do...I had to fire the person who hired me.

It has been in the works for a few weeks, as these things always are and yesterday was T day. The termination went rather well...or as well as these things can go. It has been heart wrenching trying to be discrete while trying to fill a position that is not vacant and acting as though nothing is wrong.

The whole event was over in less than an hour and finished today when we told the rest of the staff. There was a deer in the headlights look around the table as the announcement was made. No one is overly surprised. It happens in every company in every country around the world.

For a number of reasons I was taking the lead up to the event very personally and not being able to discuss it with anyone even more difficult. I will never be able to have an affair, the sneaking around to meet candidates and head hunters was stressing me and trying to remember the lies. How do these people who lie and cheat keep the lies straight in their head?

It is over. I'm glad. Time to move on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Oh Jennifer now we know why you have been so stressed and worried. What aburden you have been carrying. And yet you say staff did not look surprised at the announdcement. Just goes to show that the lies were not fooling them either. Never pleasant to have to live and work in such a situation.

If you are a sensitive person who cares about others and their feelings the task of firing someone tears you apart. There are some hard people out there who would think nothing of it but you are not one of them. Bless you and I hope you are able to relax now.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, I hope you are able to sleep and get on with other things now that this hugh event is over. I can only imagine how hard that would be, not easy to keep all that inside and carry on as if there isn't anything wrong or bothering you. Yes, we now know why you were so stressed, I'm glad it went better than you had expected, and with staff not overly surprised, it must of made you realize that they saw some of the writing on the wall as well.

Take care and I hope this can be chaulked up to an experience that you won't have to repeat in the near future.

Lori B.