Sunday, February 14, 2010

The project is complete.
It may not be the best handy man job ever but it seems sturdy and I left it hanging on the wall for one full day before I even thought about hanging my precious jewels in it...and I haven't finished that part yet. I actually just put a few things in so I could take the photos for you!

Here's the breakdown by cost...
3-ring binder--free. It was a toss out from the office
drawer from Ikea--$5 it was in the as is section
hinges--$2 from Habitat for Humanity ReStore
picture frame--I already owned
print--already owned
plastic sleeves--$1.99 from Salvation Army
hooks for necklaces-$1.99 from Value Village
screws, nails, small hooks--already on hand from previous projects

Total cost of project=$10.98*

The drawer I purchased at Ikea and my faithful Chicken helper.


My awesome purchased from Value Village and the free binder from work.
The binder was cut apart and screwed to one side of the drawer.

The insides of the jewelry case. Hangers for necklaces and bracelets. The plastic holders on the right side are for earrings, rings, braclets, etc. The pages can be removed or flipped.

From the side. Hanging on the wall in my bedroom. I used picture hooks onthe back of the 'drawer' and picture hooks are temporarily holding the frame and print on the front.

The front of the display case. A wonderful beautiful print. Glare from the window.

Example of how it will eventually work.

*Total cost of project was increased on the final day I put it together. I flipped the framed print over to put the hangers on it and the glass cracked. I will need to either purchase a new frame or just get a piece of glass to fit it...so the cost of the project will go up in the end.

So far I'm very happy with my project. It looks good....it does what it was designed to do. A minor modification will be to find a new hinge for it. The one I purchased at the ReStore will not work and I will need to reconsider my options for this. It works in the meantime, but I will appreciate having the hinge eventually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, seems like you had a productive weekend getting the hanger made, or almost complete. Good you posted pictures, I'm a visual person and would have had a hard time trying to imageine what it looked like. Too bad the glass cracked, but shouldn't be too expensive to replace. Now if you lived here I could have helped as stained glass is my hobby and cutting and grinding a piece of glass would have been an easy job. A lot of thought must have gone in to that to come up with the ideas you used, I'm impressed!

On a side note, I was checking here Saturday evening, and am assuming you decided to delete a message that I had read and when I went to see again to reply - it was gone! You must have had a change of heart - you seemed to be writing from your heart!

We had a great long weekend, we went to Moncton yesterday to have Valentine's dinner, 3 couples in total went, and of course did a bit of shopping and got to see our son today for a quick lunch. We had a blast, we were like a bunch of teenagers away from home! Our son runs a kitchen in a great seafood restaurant, so needless to say, he had no time for us yesterday, he was extremely busy! But a quick visit today fill the void for me!

Have a good week ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

You are a creative genius. Who would have thought of using the materials you did to come up with the beautiful completed project. So there was a small glitch with the broken glass - you'll work it out.

Are you sure you shouldn't go in to a job where you teach people to make jewelry, make display cases, take beautiful pictures, etc???

Edith