Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I've decided on a new career...blogger and world traveller. Now I just need to figure out how to financially support that. Any thoughts?

I don't want to be selfish about it...I will travel the world and donate my time to helping worthy causes...Habitat for Humanity, the Red Cross, any number of different charities. I can blog about my experiences and post pictures for you and the thousands of other readers I will need to support the project.

The only problem of course is money. Funny how the world revolves around it.

I had thought about donating blood, but you don't get paid for that here in Canada. I have no hobbies that produce money--just absorb it. My luck with Bingo is not so great...and if I had saved all the money I've spent in lottery tickets over the years I'd probably have a good down payment on a trip but not much more than that.

I'm looking into selling some of my photos to stock photography websites, but it takes a lot of time, money and patience not to mention the 'right' photos. That is something that might get me a couple hundred bucks over the course of a year--IF I'm lucky. Most aren't that lucky.

A garage sale would not net enough money to go anywhere let alone fund myself for years to come...so I'm at a loss as to how to quit my day job and devote myself full time to blogging and travelling the world. But I'll continue to work on it.

Two years ago I was in India.  Ah, India. It still feels like yesterday. I'd love to do another Habitat trip to India or almost any other destination.

Here's a couple of pics that I think I had posted before from my trip...enjoy, I know I did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going well, you sound upbeat, I love it!! A blogger career, as you spin around the world, if anyone I know can do it, it would be you! You don't mind traveling alone, and you write like a pro - if I was rich, I'd send you on the trip myself!! Terrible how money seems to ruin some of the best plans isn't it? Your pics would sell well I'd think, I'm not a professional, but they are pics that are out of the ordinary, not everyday run of the mill pictures. Doesn't seem that it was 2 years ago that you wrote about India - how time flies !! Speaking of which I should start thinking of getting some shut eye here. It's almost Friday ... yeah!!
We are going to Moncton on Sunday with 3 other couples - sounds real romantic for valentines!! Do some shopping, supper and spend the night. Should be a blast and hopefully get to visit with our son as well.

Cheers ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I don't know if anyone else has made a career out of blogging but maybe you could work for National Geographic - you write well - take beautiful pictres???? They should pay well and you would get to travel all over the world - I think you'd enjoy that as well. Your gift is seeing the perfect picture that most miss.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Edith

Unknown said...

check out heather armstrong's blog

dooce

she has made a career of blogging and is by all accounts well paid to do so. There are many other blogs out there that are specific to travelling, probably a google search will call up hundreds.