Friday, February 5, 2010

TTTTTTT        GGGGGGG     IIIIIII     FFFFFFFF
TGIF!

As you may have figured out...I'm a bit stressed. I can't go into what I am stressed about--HR issue is all I will say. Some days I really question my present choice of career.

I set a few personal goals for myself back in the fall and I have been doing great in filling them. I am quite proud actually of how well I HAD been doing. Then last week the stress at work went up and my personal goals ended up on the curb. I'm still working towards them and trying really hard to stay on track, but it has been hard. So I ended up beating myself up over it all. And after reading comments from my wonderful readers and on the advice of a few people here in Edmonton I have decided to let them slide.

The stress at work will be over on February 25. So it has a definite time line. The advice I got last night is do what I can towards my personal goals but don't beat myself up if I don't get there. And it made sense. I can't control everything in my life at the moment...so don't try. Work on the things I can and let the rest slide. It's really good advice. The freedom one person said of allowing myself to let things slide a bit might allow me to actually achieve some personal goals in the long run. It made sense as I thought about it last night and early this morning.

I am not forgetting my personal goals. I am not stopping the journey I am on. I am simply allowing myself to take a time out. If I don't I will stress myself into an ulcer.

What did I do to help myself last night? I bought a bottle of diet pepsi to take to work today. I enjoy drinking it when I'm stressed--and I think we can all agree me drinking a few gallons of DP instead of a few gallons of wine is a better choice. I can go back to my DP free life on February 26. That is only one of the personal goals I am working on at the moment...but it gave me a sense of freedom.

I expect a lot from myself in my professional life. I generally like that about myself. I'm not pushing myself too hard at work at the moment, there is just an event coming up that is causing the strain on me. Once that hurdle is jumped I can go back to pushing myself as I normally do. I wouldn't be in my current position if I didn't push myself...and for all the complaining and grouching I do on here about my job on here you might be surprised if I said I like my work. I really do...it's just...well...it isn't the life I am looking for at the moment. But that is for another post.

I am getting in my truck this morning and popping into A&W for a yummy breakfast...then off to the office to drink my diet pepsi and try to get a few more things arranged. I am not working on any of my personal goals this weekend. I'm taking the weekend off from work and goals. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Sounds like good advice is being shared with you from all directions. Also sounds like you are going to follow the good advice. When you get really stressed about not being able to accomplish what you felt you absoutely had to accomplish - make a list of the worse things that could happen to you in your life. What are the most important things in your life? Think about Haiti - everything gone in less than one minute. Life goes on whether we accomplish all our personal goals or not; whether we succeed at everything at work or not.

So enjoy that diet pepsi, enjoy the wine and cheesecake and savour all the good moments and forget the bad.

Edith