Sunday, November 22, 2009

Under the heading of Murphy's Law

I normally buy my groceries at Safeway. I have noticed from the few times that I venture to other grocery stores a major discrepancy in prices. One must be very vigilant to keep track of all the prices and who offers the best deals...a little too much if you ask me.

I was out on Saturday and needed to pick up a few items at the grocery store but instead of heading to Safeway I decided Walmart was a better choice. I needed a couple of non-grocery items and I like to wander the aisles at Walmart. What I found in the grocery section didn't surproise me, they have great prices on most of their food but here are a few examples.

Tuna Helper--$1.67 (no-name tuna helper is $1.00---but I don't recommend it)
frozen dinners (I can't remember the brand and I'm too lazy to walk to the freezer) $2.97

At Safeway those two items are:
Tuna Helper $3.99
frozen dinners $3.97

And at Sobey's the Tuna Helper comes in at $2.99.

I don't hit Walmart often--too easy to spend WAY too much money--so I loaded up the cart with frozen dinners and tuna helper. Then today I happened to stop at Safeway to pick up some fruit and low and behold my frozen dinners are on sale 3 for $8 and the tuna helper was on sale as well.

I wouldn't normally pick a couple of different stores to do my shopping in...oh wait, actually I do. Fruit and Veggies at the new Asian supermarket and the rest at Safeway, but given the MAJOR difference in costs I may start shopping at Walmart...on a regular basis I think it would be cheaper....but then that involves a lot of math.

The weekend flew by as per normal. Maybe next move I should head to a country that only works 4 days a week...if anyone can help me out with the destination I'd appreciate it.

What I did accomplish this weekend is some cooking. I made a madra curry chicken and my usual butter chicken and then some large muffin sized meatloaf. At this point I have enough lunches in the freezer to last until Christmas. Now if someone would stop by the house every evening around 6pm and cook me supper I'd be a happy camper. Oh, and do the dishes. I did dishes about 6 times this weekend....good thing I at least have something to show for it.

This week at work is going to be BUSY. I'm doing my regular duties AND payroll. And we got the keys to our new office on Friday so this week will be busy with meeting contractors and getting everything in place for the move. So much to think about and get lined up. I may try and take Friday off...hmmm....or Monday next week...hmmmm. Wonder if I can swing that?

A long weekend that is a normal workday would go along way to making me feel rested. I can't tell you everything I did this weekend...Christmas is coming and so is secret time. LOL And speaking of Christmas...here's some trees from Christmas past.

The pink trees of Paris.



The tulips that marked my Christmas day in London--2005


Tree from Christmas 2006 that arrived via Canada Post.




He isn't a tree, but he did visit recently. Christmas 2007.


Another from Christmas 2007.


My Ikea tree, Christmas 2008.



My fun tree Christmas 2008.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I loved the Christmas tree picture story! Trying to keep up to the grocery bargains is a full time job.

Good luck with payroll!

Edith