Friday, November 6, 2009

Morning! It's Friday. TGIF.

I am escaping for the weekend. Destination unknown to everyone but me--and a couple of friends. I had planned on a trip to Vancouver later this month, but with the shopping spree in Yellowknife and the stuff going on at work right now I have opted for this weekend away instead. The good news is that potentially there will be some great photos at the end of this.

One of the women at work (who makes everyones life miserable with her gossiping and negative chat) is off on 'medical' leave for two weeks. Which means that my extended weekend will include a few hours of doing payroll from an undisclosed hotel room (or my living room). I don't mind....in fact it is a great chance to prove that it can be done...just hope I get it done correctly. LOL

Sigh. I'm content, just trying to prepare myself for the long day ahead. I'm in front of the Board again all day presenting the rest of my Phase 1 policies. I'm looking forward to it, but the timing is a bit off. At least this will give me and the other Managers the power to apply consistent rules to all employees. It takes the guess work out of it and allows me to point and say "Do it this way" My understanding of policies is not so black and white. You can use them as enforcement or as a guideline...take sick leave. If a person is sick for more than 5 days in any one year they are required to provide a Dr note every time they are sick after that. My interpretation of that is if you have an employee who you feel is abusing their sick days you ask for the note. If you have an employee who you know was actually sick (off on surgery for eg) and then hits the 5 day limit you may not ask for a note. I think it is called common sense...too bad not everyone has it.

See you on Monday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Here's hoping your escape weekend was all you hoped and more! Dreary Sunday afternoon here in PEI, weekends disappear so quick, it's almost time to start thinking about work on Monday, ugh!!

I hope that work is going OK now that you are one less, and that this time off might help her see the light in respect to fellow workers.

I loved the pumpkins, especially the bat! Sounds like the new blood you brought in was just what was needed to shake up the place and put a little life into the work space - which we all need by times.

Take care and have a good week ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: I look forward to new pictures. I hope a trip to Vancouver was awesome!

Edith