Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My extended weekend behind me I am preparing for my return to the office tomorrow. Not really a big deal, but with the wonky sleeping pattern of the past few days I know 6am will come as a bit of a shock. And then working for 2 days and having 2 days off again will certainly screw with my attempts at 20 winks.

Sleep...not really an interesting topic, but something we all do--daily. Or at least try to do daily. For as long as I can remember I have not been a good sleeper. The snoring noises that emerge from my bedroom may claim efforts to the contrary. I recall a sleep-over when I was young around 10?. We were living in Lethbridge and one of my cousins was my guest for the night. I apparently stole all the covers and while I ended up with a mere sliver covering myself my cousin had none. I had pulled them off us and onto the floor. It was not a good time and I recall being very cranky.

I just wrote a few paragraphs about my inability to sleep and how I snore. It was so dull I almost fell asleep re-reading it. I have random thoughts and ideas for posts all the time but never seem to get them 'on paper' before they disappear.

Small brag...my Christmas shopping is almost finished. Only 3 more presents to buy or rather 3 more people to buy for. And I have started the wrapping.

The weekend in Banff and Calgary was a last minute decision. I am filling in for the nasty person at work and while she is expected back next Monday the money is on her not returning and if I needed to do payroll in her absence it was going to be from a mere 3 hours away rather than from Vancouver.....where accessing the files in the office would be much more difficult. I have decided to not go to Vancouver for the time being....so the decision was made to go to Banff and Calgary. I have friends in both locations and I apologize to the ones (the many) I did not see while passing thru.

It is often hard for people to understand how a person that lives alone needs time away and alone. I think it is all about location, location, location. Being alone at home is routine. Being alone in say...Banff...is majestic and enables one to explore thoughts and feelings that are often lost at home base in the daily routine. Being alone in a city one knows well...Calgary can enable a person to become anonymous yet still have their bearings. Wandering around a city you don't know can be intimidating and at the very least one must pay attention to where you are going and where you are on the map. Wandering around a city you know means never getting lost...expect for in your thoughts.

More thoughts and images from the trip in the upcoming days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Travelling is re-energizing. I'm heading to Bangor tomorrow for a couple of days. Even if you don't buy it is the "trip' that reves you.

I completely understand your need for different surroundings.

Edith