Monday, November 9, 2009

Greetings from _______. Ok, I'm still in Alberta. I spent the majority of my weekend in Banff and today in Cowtown aka Calgary. Overall a great weekend. But I gotta say, if you are a first time visitor to Banff--don't go in November. It is closed. Everything is closed for renovations and even if they say the reno's will be done before you arrive--don't believe them. They won't.

I had plans for the hot springs--renovations were to be finished the day of my arrival--delayed for one week.
Plans to walk from gondola to telegraph tower at top of mountain--under renovation--no date for completion.
Lovely dinner at fancy smancy restaurant at top of gondola--nope, not even sure if it is under reno or just permanently closed.
The golf courses are closed and the snow stuff for non-skiers (horse and sleigh rides, cross country skiing, etc...not on the go yet)Oh well.
Even the tea store was closed...not all day, just for lunch, but still...had never seen it closed before.

It was a comedy of errors. But I left with my sense of humor intact.

Calgary has been nice. Coffee (ok, pop) break with a good friend and then not that long after a nice long lunch with her. It was great. I'm feeling more optimistic about certain things and seem to be walking on a cloud the past couple of days. Isn't it amazing what a difference a few days can make on a situation.

I hope to do a bit more Christmas shopping tomorrow and maybe a bit of chores around the apartment. It's nice to have an extra long weekend now and then, don't you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Well what is an adventure without being an adventure? You certainly knew what you wanted to experience - just didn't get to experience it.

Another time perhaps, you will get to do it all.

Happy shopping!

Edith

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your weekend was grand and that you accomplished some things - even with Banff pretty much closed down! What a shame you weren't able to take advantage of some of what you had hoped to. I guess it isn't too far away that you can take off again and try the hot springs and gondola walk, restaurant, etc.

Hope all these good vibes carry over back to the office for you, you sound very upbeat! Extra long weekends are great - we need more of them - I (and hubby) are taking Thursday and Friday off and will go to Moncton as our son works over there, and I do enjoy the shopping!

I believe Edith is heading off shopping this coming weekend as well ... I will leave that for her to tell. We both enjoy shopping a lot!!

Take care and enjoy Rememberance Day.

Lori B.