Friday, November 27, 2009

At around 5am I woke up this morning and made my way out to the couch. I turned on the tv and tried to fall back asleep. It didn't work. Just before 6am I heard what sounded like a knock at the door. That seemed strange but I was awake so went to investigate. I quietly got up and tip-toed to the door a few feet from the door I tripped over some object that I had left on the floor (I don't know what it was and really there is a lot of stuff on the floor) and made a loud crashing noise. The knock did not come again and by the time I got to the door I could see my next door neighbour walking down the stairs. No idea what it was about.

I had the day off so I could run a few errands and take the truck in for a check up. I dropped the truck off and walked home. I was less than a block from the house when I happened to jay-walk and saw a kid walking into a house and for a brief second wondered if he was going in to 'score'. I shook my head and wondered where that thought had come from and then tip toed my way over some ice on the street. To my right I heard a vehicle coming and looked to see how far/fast/etc. I saw a big truck closing fast. He pulled up behind me and jumped out. I heard him shout "Police. Turn the vehicle off and step out." I didn't break my stride and I certainly did not look back or up until I was a few houses away. The vehicle the kid had gotten out of was the one in question and I could see the badge hanging around the plain clothes cop. A bust almost in front of my apartment. Hmmm. With the truck being broken into a few weeks ago and now this I am starting to question my choice of neighbourhood.

Work is super close (but not as close as it could be--or I would be next door and able to walk!), all the amenities I need are close by and the neighbourhood has never bothered me or frightened me and the rent is reasonable...I dunno. I may not look for a new place. The devil you know kind of thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

That was a bit like being part of a movie. You were almost in the middle of the crime scene. Interesting how your mind immediately thought - crime - when you saw that kid. Makes you wonder why the neighbour was knocking so gentlely on your door. Nothing like a good crash to "spoil a thief's momement". I wonder if your in ability to sleep is some subconscious burglar alarm that you are afraid something might happen.

Edith