Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Sleep....I remember how lovely it is...I wish I knew where to find it. I wish these episodes were fewer and farther between then they are unfortunately they are not and on a regular basis I find myself awake at all hours. The only advice I ever get from Dr's is to create a routine and only use the bed for sleeping. I think that is a bit of a joke. I go to bed I just can't sleep so it doesn't get used properly and I'm not one to do anything in bed but sleep...why else would I be there?

A long time friend suffered a loss in his family last night. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I am selfish enough to admit I hope it is MANY years before I go through a similar loss.

Random thinks at 2:39am
Facebook is an interesting website. It can help you connect with friends near and far, old and new and I think it can also start you down the path to destroying friendships. You can on Facebook for those of you not familiar with the site post a daily (or hourly or however often you want to update it) status. Unless you have certain people blocked all of your friends can read your status. It is outthere for the world to see and interpret. I try to keep my messages light and fluffy...and not hide messages to certain people in it. According to a website I frequest not everyone does the same and there have been firings and lots of friendships ended because of this 'social networking tool'.

The office environment is better...but not yet great. I am desperately trying to get a couple of managers to stop and take lunch breaks but it doesn't seem to be happening. I want them to set the example to the employees. I think people are more productive if they take lunch. It gives the mind a few minutes away from the tasks at hand and allows the mind to rest. Plus a does of vitamins, protein and carbs mid-day never hurt anyone. It does a body good. It does morale good and it sets a good example. The employees know there are a few of us working extra hours, day/nigiht/weekend I like to think that showing the softer side by having lunch and getting to know them is important in the overall health of the office.

The snow that arrived on the weekend is still here. The temps have been hovering around 0 all week and perhaps it is time people admit that fall/winter is here. It is late November in Canada and snow is not an unexpected event...at least in my thinking. I'm not saying I enjoy the non-plowing of the roads that happens here and the accumulation of snow on the streets and in the parking lot but it is a reality...and I'm all about reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Sounds like you should move to the country by a sheep farm so you can count sheep at night !! Not really, it's not a funny thing at all to have trouble sleeping, I know my hubby suffers a lot with it too, doesn't seem to be a common denominator for when it happens at all. There's no rhyme or reason to when it happens. I hope yours doesn't continue on, and that you find something that will help you with your ZZZZs.

Sorry to hear about your friend's loss. Never easy to have a family member die.

You mention Facebook which is something I have never gotten involved in - enough computer time at work for me and email works when I want to say something to a group.

Good luck with the working lunch crew, I'm guilty myself of that - tend to eat at my desk most days; however, I do run out through the day for "fresh air breaks" (that translates to my bad habit!). I'm definitely not a work-a-holic! Like to keep on trucking if I'm into something though and then take a walk uptown or just a quick step outside.

We are having a wonderful fall here in PEI as I'm sure you've heard! It's been grand outside, the odd "crisp" day, but lately most have been quite mild for November. Might take a few flurries to us geared up to shop for Christmas though! I enjoy the lights on the snow and all that Xmas stuff!! This Saturday is the Santa Claus parade and a few flurries would make it very pretty as it's at supper time so everything sparkles and it lit up!

Chow for now ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I feel for you trying to function on little sleep. I'm sure by the time you are suppose to get up for the work day is when you body decides it is ready to sleep. Just a shot in the dark but maybe discuss with your doctor for being tested for sleep apnea(sp?). I have a friend who was diagnosed with it and she had no idea she had it. The body keeps waking up so you can breathe.

Sorry to hear of your friend's family loss. There have been a lot of deaths on PEI lately too. You may remember Paul Jelley who was a DM in government here in the Provincial Government. He retired in May at age 60 and took a massive heart attack last Wednesday and never made it. He passed away last Friday. Maybe that is the kind of incentive you need to get managers to "take lunch breaks".

Edith