Thursday, July 8, 2010

If I had listened to all the people that have come and gone from my life and never done all the things people have told (suggested) I NOT do I would never have had this journey that I am on.


I would never have kissed a boy.

I would never have learned to drive a standard.

I would never have gone to university.

I would never have graduated from university. (I have two degrees now!)

I would never have set out to Europe on my own.

Never lived in Nunavut, never went to India or anywhere else.

I’d never have even gone on the camping trip I just returned from--and it was fabulous.

And, I would never have taken the step I am about to embark on....

North of Nain and Iqaluk in Calgary (Edmonton) is on the road to home...Prince Edward Island.

Yes ladies and gentleman I am moving back to PEI!

After almost 5 years of traveling across this amazing country it is time to hang my hat back on the red shores of PEI. To some of you this comes as no surprise. I started thinking about it in December of 2009. In March of 2010 I met with a few people on PEI and let them know of my intentions and now it is finally happening. To those who it is a surprise...well, I can only hope you are happy for me and will enjoy the pictures as I get reacquainted with the Island—new blog (again coming soon!)

I should arrive on PEI in time for the Tractor Pulls in Crapaud. I'm a sucker for them and was disappointed to miss them in 2008 when I was leaving Nunavut.

For those of you now saying... ‘Whoo hoo!!’, ‘Congratulations!’, ‘We can’t wait to see you!’—Thanks. I’m pretty excited about it myself.

Here are the answers to a few questions you may have...

Do you have a job there?

No, I don't have a job there yet but I'm sure it will come. Positive thinking--and if you know of anything pass it on!

Why now?

It just feels right. I wasn't ready to return to PEI in 2008 when I left NU. It was much easier to get the medical procedures I needed here than on the Island. It would have been great to have family around to hold my hand during the waits but I made it through. If I need more hand holding in the future someone will be there. And hey, who says I won't move in a year or two when I get itchy feet—again!

Why didn't you move in May when you left your job?

I really wanted the summer off. No thinking, no obligations, no stress, no timetables. I got that. I have had a terrific time wandering around Alberta and just vegging. I will have all kinds of time to spend with family and friends in PEI in a month--if I left in May I wouldn't have had the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of Alberta and the friends I have here.

Why did you move apartments a month ago only to need to pack it all up again?

It was just something I needed to do. As a single person I have the ability to come and go almost as I please—married people, people with kids just don’t understand that. Living in Old Strathcona was something I wanted to do and now I have. I am calling this apartment my summer home.

When do you leave?

Chicken and I (with the help of some muscular men) are loading up the Uhaul again and heading East around July 23.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

Fantastic news!! Now we know why you are enjoying your well deserved excursions! Been wondering about the job front and we were starting to get concerned for you, no need now! Looking forward to seeing you on Island soon and hearing about the camping trips!

Enjoy the next few weeks before the road trip! It will be great for you to dip your toes in red sand/mud and water again!!

Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is so fabulous! Enjoy everything you can in Alberta these next couple of weeks! And make sure you still go camping on PEI

See you and chicken soon

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I took Friday off as a vacation day and now it is Saturday night and I'm catching up on emails and blogs. You blew me away with this entry. I never saw this coming. I know we talked about it when you were home but just thought it was for the future.

And interestingly enough, before I read your blog I was checking emails and there was one internal posting looking for 3 or 4 director positions in Health. Might be worthy your while to check in with the PSC again. If they are hiring to director positions they might be hiring in HR as well. I know there were 2 H.R. Manager positions vacant recently - 1 for Education and Early Childhood Dev. (which moved to Summerside) and one for Finance and Municipal Affairs.

We would welcome you back in a flash!

Edith

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to hearing the name of your new blog!

Jan from The Island

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Crazy!!! I hope your move goes smoothly!