Friday, April 30, 2010

Happy Friday! For those of you on facebook you will know that I was pretending that yesterday was Friday. It just seemed like the week had been long enough and I was in a good mood--Friday. Today I am also celebrating Friday. Why not?

Today the official announcement will be made at work that I am leaving. I told those in the Edmonton office yesterday and my one direct report in CB yesterday. I wanted to do it personally. It was a huge relief to say it out loud and not need to hide it anymore. There is no replacement yet--I'm not even going to worry. I have tried my best to fill it. Can only do so much.

I'm excited about the upcoming interviews. 4 booked and potential for 1 more. I'm actually double booked one morning next week and while I did contemplate trying to re-arrange them or do something so I could accommodate both I am going to cancel one of them. It would require me to move to BC. I have nothing against BC, I like it, but it is a very small town. It is very expensive to live there and there are so many unknowns surrounding it. I think you all know that I am adventurous and willing to try new things...and while the job seems interesting, I think in the long run I will be banging my head on the desk after a few weeks. It's a shame really cause it is one of those minority groups that could use the help of someone who cares. And I do, but I also care enough about myself at the moment to know that I need to put me first.

I'm really excited about the interview on Wednesday next week. It will be an ALL day event. Mostly because it is out of town. The potential job is a couple hours outside of Edmonton. I love the location and while I have not been to this exact spot I have been close last fall when I was camping. The job sounds interesting and I am assured that they really care about the employees. It seems like they really do. I have been all over google and it seems like a great spot for me. As Goldilocks would have said...it seems just right. I can keep going to WW and Curves so that makes me happy.

Almost the entire management team is going to be there to meet me. I'm not sure if it is a group interview or just one on one conversations. Either way...I will be ready!

The one on Tuesday is for the camp rotation job. I'm interested to learn more....and if they ask me to head up to Fort McMurray to check it out...I will gladly go. The third one I'm keeping is also in Edmonton...but the far extreme West and not anywhere near the centre of the city. I like that idea.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to Lloydminster. It is in Alberta...no Saskatchewan...no...both! It sits right on the boarder. The last time I was there was 1986? Yep, I think that is right. I am driving the 3 hours to pick up some free moving boxes. No, I'm not crazy. I just thought it would be a great adventure. Maybe not overseas vacation adventure...but something interesting and fun to do. The camera will of course be with me. The boxes have a retail value of about $150. Have you bought moving boxes lately? They are expensive...but worth it. The boxes are Uhaul boxes and they have a website where you can exchange or re-sell your used boxes. What a great way to recycle them. The nice man giving me his boxes is going to meet me at the Home Depot on Saturday morning. He must also think I'm a bit nuts to drive...6 hours round trip for some free boxes...but it isn't just the boxes, it is the whole day for me. Lunch in Saskatchewan anyone?


Guess I better get my butt off the couch and out the door....I still have a job and must show up--at least for another week!!! (Have you ever seen someone so happy who is about to be unemployed???)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer,

Now it's Sunday, hope you got everything accomplished that you had planned on the weekend. Your days are really getting short now!! This Friday will be a whirl for you I'm sure!! Being unemployed for a short time isn't so bad. Great time to clean house and enjoy the spring.

Wow - 4 interviews booked, that's fantastic, hopefully one of those will be the definite "Jennifer" job! I hope your current staff are pleased for you and that there aren't any hard feelings in the current work place. A full day for an interview, I'd be in full panic mode if that was me!! Like most people I don't enjoy job interviews.

Hope the Lloydminster adventure was interesting and that you got the boxes and enjoyed the drive, and must have had a pit stop to fuel up the truck and yourself, with maybe time to take a picture or two!

Enjoy this week, hope there aren't too many loose ends to clean up.

Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Life is pretty exciting for you right now. Glad to hear you are having fun with the job interviews, the searching for jobs and the hunt for free packing boxes - now they are not exactly free when you drive 3 hours to get them and 3 hours home again - but the adventure to some place different will have been good for you.

Edith