Saturday, January 2, 2010

Welcome to 2010!

I haven't forgotten you out there in cyber world, I've just been taking a break from reality for a bit. I can't say I'm back to reality but I am writing again. I took a short walk yesterday, short because I was not dressed to be outside. The plan was to walk and take photos but I should learn to check the weather channel before walking out the door. A cold Arctic wind blasted me as I rounded the first corner. I made it a couple blocks before heading back to the house. Yes, I could have put on a different coat and headed back out but the mood was lost. I am aiming to try again tomorrow.

The trip to Italy is off. Lots of reasons, I'm the one that canceled. Sometimes you gotta go with the gut.

I'm looking for ideas to store/display my jewelry. If anyone has some ideas I would certainly appreciate it. I have tried a couple of different things and they never seem to work. I need something that will hang a lot of necklaces and display my earrings. I have a fair amount of jewelry and don't wear half of it because it gets lost in the drawer. At the moment most of it lives in clear fishing tackle boxes but it isn't working.

Here's my tip to you when buying a new wallet. Try it out first with your bank card, visa, valued shoppers card, etc. I purchased a wallet in Banff summer of '08 and it needed replacing this year. I purchased one at Value Village--it looked new. I would have been surprised if anyone had used it. I took it home and found out why. I can't get my cards into it. Someone at work said the spaces would relax after a bit, but it has been a few weeks and I have given up using it because I almost couldn't pay for my groceries the other night--my bank card was stuck. Today I headed out to Walmart and purchased another wallet. I tested it out in the middle of the store. The guy buying a new wallet didn't try his...I wish him luck.

It's the beginning of a new year...many people are making resolutions. My only resolution is to make and break all my resolutions. I hate setting myself up for failure. Sure I'd like to be a better person, lose 10 pounds and all that, but a NY resolution isn't going to make me a better person, I am. It takes personal dedication to change habits and the desire to change. The date on the wall is not going to give me desire or dedication. I prefer to take on new tasks and changes when I feel like it.

A few projects I am working on this year...on going and a few new ones....

-another necklace (I bought the supplies in August)
-some scrapbooking (maybe 2 or 3 pages)
-macro-photography (I need a new lens)
-going to the library again (I did in Calgary but stopped when I reached Edmonton)
-sort some of my many folders of pictures--and print a few off--I need more wall space to hang them

and finally, picking one recipe every other week out of one of my many cookbooks.

Most of the above has been in motion for a few months/weeks...

I have selected two pieces of art for my office walls. They are prints, one from Pang and one from hmmm, I think Iglook. I'll post pictures once the office is finished.

You may start to see ads on my blog. Consider it an experiment. I am also going to try and expand my audience...so topics would be greatly appreciated. I don't know what to write about some days and so I ramble.


No new interesting photos, but I thought I'd re-post a few from my trip to Paris.I find it hard to believe that it was December 2005 that I was there....


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I'm not much into New Year's resolutions either. I think if you want to do something you just do it whether it is June or January. Some of your plans are interesting. I'm not much of a scrapbooker but I keep clippings all the time and I make a point of writing on the back of my pictures as to who is in them.

Your weather has been so cold out there but I suppose compared to the North you are more prepared for it than I.

Sorry to hear about "no Italy". I'm sure you made the decision for the best of reasons.

Sorry, I'm no help re displaying the jewelry. Hopefully a reader out there will have some good ideas.

Good point about new wallets. I'll keep that in mind when next buying one.

Enjoy the last moments of you long weekend and enjoy back to work tomorrow.

Edith

Unknown said...

If you want to "see" your jewellery there are quite a few ways to make visible displays. One I saw I liked was a window frame (could also be a picture frame) that was filled/backed with screen door netting. Hung on the wall it Made an excellent place to hang earrings.
Another I have seen is the old metal medicine cabinet with mirroe. The inside was driled with holes to accomodate screw in cup hooks and necklaces were hung from that.
I bought a tall skinny unit from IKEA like the old glove dressers that were around in the seventies and used all the drawers for various jewellery pieces. I still had to have containers for the drawers. I use the watchmakers boxes available from Lee Valley for earrings, rings, small pins, etc.,
IKEA hackers site has a few ideas.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer

Hope your new year is starting off well, maybe some warmer weather would be appropriate now out west, sounds like it has been very very cold !!! It's not too bad on the Island, usual damp chill in the air, we have actually been luck so far this winter weather wise, no major amounts of snow yet. Your big parka will come in handy if your weather keeps so cold.

Hopefully Italy is only temporarily cancelled and that another time will work out better for you.

Jewellry displays are something I could use as well. If you have lots of wall space, a bulletin board covered in black material shows things up quite nicely. Some type of pretty stick pins could be used to hold necklaces and earrings should be able to stick on. I have one of those stand up jewellry boxes and even with all that space I don't get to see it all and then, of course, forget what I have!! (Obviously too much!!)

Along with you and Edith, I'm not into resolutions at a particular time of year, no reason to not do things whether it be resolutions, or whatever, any time of the year!

We had a nice New Year's Eve at a friends place for dinner (lobster lasagna) nice treat! Always good when someone else cooks. There were 3 couples so we did all bring something - I prefer to make a dessert and another couple did a lovely salad. A fine evening with fine friends, good food, good travel weather - what's not to like!

Best wishes for a truely wonderful 2010 ... Lori B.