Saturday, January 9, 2010

Good thing I didn't make any resolutions about posting every day in 2010.

Airport Security.

I've noticed lately a lot of talk about airport security. On Christmas day there was a breach of security on a flight headed into the US. Suddenly we are boosting security measures--again. About two weeks after 9-1-1 I flew to the US. It was a flight that I had been taking on a regular basis for quite some time at that point. Routine. Yes, security was tighter than I had seen it before but it wasn't interfering with my life, my ability to get on an airplane and it didn't involve my personal life.

Flying has been at least up to now, one of the safest forms of travel. Fewer people die from a flight than car accidents every year. That stat seems to make the non-flyers comfortable. It doesn't bother me either way. Flying is a safe, comfortable way to go. Perhaps I am too trusting, but I have always left the regulation of safety and security measures up to a higher power so to speak--the government. The set speed limits, seat belt usage, all kinds of measures and rules to help keep me, my passengers and everyone else on the road safe. I  have also always felt that they are going to try and keep me safe in the air.

If the government wants to increase security measures to keep me safe while I am strapped into a plane 30,000 feet above the ground--let them. While I may be able to swerve my vehicle out of the way of incoming traffic that could harm me, stop my vehicle and toss an unruly passenger out, (which I never have had to do thankfully), or slow my speed to avoid a collision these options are not available to me in the air. Let's face it--you are trapped in a tin can with wings. Long time readers know how much I enjoy to fly. Love to fly might be a better phrase. My suitcase is ready to be packed in minutes and I'm out the door shouting 'where are we going'. So the idea of being strapped into the tin can is of no bother to me,it is a fun, exciting trip even if it is only a flight to Vancouver.

When I hear people talking about the new security regulations the governments are implementing and how against it some people are I have to wonder--what is your plan if it happens on your flight?

A full body scan. It really doesn't seem bad to me. If it keeps me safe and everyone else on my flight safe--DO IT. As with most security measures in place there is a chance some of the information will be leaked, tapped into somehow and my personal scan could potentially be floating around in cyber space. So. What are you going to get out of a body scan? You might see a few piercings in places you were not expecting, you might see who has tiny bits of steel and titanium inside them, find out who really is big boned. But so what? Unlike a potential breech of information from a financial institute what are you really getting out of my scan? 

I will admit that I have not done research on the new scan machines. My only information comes from the snippets I see and hear on the news. I'm not planning to do research. It is being implemented--period. I can't see the harm. If it keeps me potentially safer when flying--great. Do it. Mr Airport Security Guard, I'm ready for my close up.

2 comments:

Jack said...

I totally agree with you! However, try & tell that to 'us' in the US- invasion of privacy, yadda, yadda, yadda. The ranting & raving on the subject has already begum, sadly to say.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I agree with you Jennifer. What difference if they body scan me at the airport or body scan me at a hospital. I'm looking for a safe and secure air flight and if a body scan is required what is the bid deal.

Edith