Wednesday, January 27, 2010

4 years ago today I arrived in Pangnirtung, Nunavut. (New-na-vout) Which means that 4 years and 4 days ago I left PEI to embark on a new adventure. Wow...time sure does fly. During those four years I've been to Newfoundland, Boston, various places in Maine, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Yellowknife and lets not forget the trip to India. In the territory I made it to 16 communities. Not bad mileage for an Island girl. :)

Would I consider going back up North? Yes and No. I carry so many wonderful memories of my time up North...memories that I hope I keep and cherish for many years to come. I'm glad for the blog I kept during my time in Nunavut. I printed off the entire blog and it sits in two binders in my storage closet...in case it isn't available online in the future. My art collection and appreciation for art have certainly grown in the past few years. I guess my love of art has always been with me but when you get to meet the artist and watch them create the art it certainly changes your feeling. The landscape is/was amazing. Rough and gentle all at the same time.

The North can be a hard plae to live. The long winter nights, the isolation from things, people and places. The cost of living in the North both mentally and financially can be hard on people. It isn't like you can just go for a visit...the closet community will cost you a plane ticket and hotel room, not a highway toll.

It is a difficult place to explain. You love it or you hate it there is no room for in between.

I've recently explored the possibility of going back up North....I don't think it is in the cards at the moment...but I've learned not to say never.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Happy belated Anniversary wishes Jennifer! Isn't that hard to believe? It does surprise me that you might even consider going "North" again. But you did enjoy your time there. You do need to find a "happy" work environment so you can really excel in your job. It is one thing to give all you have to a job, it is another thing to be truly appreciated for that work effor and be made feel part of the work team and work family.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

Happy belated Anniversary wishes Jennifer! Isn't that hard to believe? It does surprise me that you might even consider going "North" again. But you did enjoy your time there. You do need to find a "happy" work environment so you can really excel in your job. It is one thing to give all you have to a job, it is another thing to be truly appreciated for that work effor and be made feel part of the work team and work family.

Edith

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I understand your sentiments exactly! We loved so much up there, but our careers drained us mentally. We have been in the Yukon for two years now and I believe we have found a great northern home that suites us, yet isn't mentally exhausting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

Hard to believe it's been 4 years!! You have certainly travelled to quite a few places since leaving our fair island. Did your time with your northern friend light a small flame for you to think about heading north again? I assume you'd be thinking of somewhere you haven't lived in the north to go to, if indeed it comes to pass. I'm sure you'd have lots of things to consider before making that decision.

Just wondering, did you come up with something yet for all the jewellry? If so, you'll have to post pics for us to have a gander at it.

It's snowing here at the moment, first snow day for the schools this year, hard to believe! It's actually beautiful outside right now, a winter wonderland - looks like the type of day where horse and sleighs would be a wonderful sight, and fun!

Take care ... Lori B.