Monday, October 19, 2009

Lesson Learned--feeling a bit violated.

Saturday night I arrived home exhausted, but happy from my last trip. You all know about the fantastic paintings I snagged in Yellowknife and the high I was on from their purchase. Unfortunately, the high was not enough to carry me through the entire evening. By the time I got home Saturday night I was so tired I did something I never do. I left a bag in the truck. And not just any old bag, this time it was my laptop bag. And here is where you fast forward and guess what happened. Yep, it was stolen.

I awoke Saturday and the leftover bag in the truck never entered my mind. I didn't go anywhere on Sunday and so the bag continued to sit in the back of the vehicle. Until Sunday night. Someone pried open the back window and managed to get the door open (I guess) and ransacked the truck. The took the bag containing my work laptop, all the files I had from Friday's meeting, my favorite fur mitts from Taloyoak, some earrings I had sitting in the bin up front and thats it as far as I can tell so far.

When I walked out to the truck this morning I noticed the drivers front window was down. Weird I thought and then two seconds later it hit me. Someone broke into my truck and then I know...the laptop was gone. The went through the glove box, the little console between the two seats and took the bag in the back. They at least left my winter coat. How stupid of me to have left the bag in the truck. I normally always drag myself back outside regardless of how tired I am...but for some reason I didn't.

I went back inside and called the police. "Do you know who did it?" 'um, no.' "Ok then you can go to any police station and report it." 'how do I find out where the closest police station is?' "oh, I guess I can tell you." I was shaking. By the time I got inside the station I was so very close to tears and then by the time I was explaining what had happened I was in tears. The police officer was so not sympathetic. He just pushed the papers in front of me told me to fill them out and then criticized me for not having my license on me and was wondering why I couldn't remember my own phone number--which I just realized I did get wrong when I told him this morning. The license--I had forgotten to switch it from my pants pocket when I flew Saturday night. He never even offered a tissue.

I feel violated. I feel stupid. I live in a BIG city. Ok, not big by US standards, but certainly big enough that I know this kind of thing happens on a regular basis and I should be careful....no one can kick me harder than I have already kicked myself this morning.

I know my wonderful readers will be sympathetic and tell me we all make mistakes and that it isn't a big deal...but for this morning it is. I know it is stupid to feel violated. They didn't touch me, but they touched all the stuff in my truck, they violated my private spot. It just felt weird driving in it. This morning at work is a write off. I know I won't be able to concentrate on anything...which would explain why I am writing a blog entry from the office. Maybe the whole day will be. Next on the agenda is to call the insurance company and find out what the next step is...what a great start to the week. NOT!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear about your theft! What a miserable way to start a week after having a good experience in Yellowknife. If I was close I'd give you a great big ..."awe, come here" hug! No words will make it easier for you and it's terrible what people do - doesn't matter if it's a big city or a small town - what's yours is yours, and nobody has the right to take it! Thank goodness your art was in the apartment!! Are your work files from Yellowknife something that someone there can send you? I hope so! The police officer sounded like a very cold person to deal with - obviously that guy's heart has been hardened from work; however, no matter how long you are in a job, you still have to be respectful of others' issues and feelings!! He needs a refresher course in personality 101!

I hope the insurance people are helpful as that might make the rest of the week a bit better!

Take care ... Lori B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

What an awful thing to have happened to you. You had every right to want to cry and to be comforted. It is so easy to make a mistake, it just hurts so much worse when some wretch breaks into your truck and steals your stuff. No matter how you try to console yourself or beat yourself up - the facts won't change. The truck was broken into and your stuff stolen. Remember you were not harmed in the incident - and that could have happened if you were confronted while getting out of the truck. "Stuff" can be replaced - Jennifer can't. Police people need to have better people skills. Day to day routine stuff to them is traumatic to regular people.

We care about you, glad you shared this story with us so we can be there for you.

Edith

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:
Sooo sorry to hear about your laptop. It certainly is an invasion of privacy. We had our cottage broken into and it is a horrible feeling. (It does pass in time---) However, be glad it was not you and hopefully the work on your laptop can be replaced from someone from Yellowknife?? Will look forward to pictures of your newly purchased art work. Good luck with the insurance people and put the thoughtless police officer out of your mind.
Auntie F.

Unknown said...

That sucks. I want to go kick that police officer's butt for you!

Jack said...

I am so very sorry this happened! We all make mistakes, and this was an honest one, it just happened, that's all. I would love to tell that officer a piece of my mind!