Monday, October 5, 2009

In July of 2008 I tossed out my microwave. It had been a gift from my parents when I was in university. It had served me well. A crack in the door that seemed to be growing and the move South were determining factors in its disposal.

Upon arrival in Calgary in September 2008 I decided that money was a bit tight and the microwave purchase could wait. And then I decided that maybe I didn't need one. Just over a year later I am still microwave free. I know it isn't a big 'green' thing to not have a microwave, but it sure is good for my kitchen. Like most apartment dwellers counter space in my apartment is at a premium. There simply isn't much functional horizontal space. I have my toaster oven (generously donated by Ali when I got to Calgary and needed to at least enjoy toast) and that is more than enough 'gadgets'.

How have I survived without the microwave? It is so easy. It has taken a bit of planning, but I don't even miss it. I can re-heat anything on the stove/oven. I can even defrost meat in the toaster oven and it comes out so much nicer than from the microwave.

I have used a microwave in the past 12 months. We have one at the office and yes, I occasionally buy frozen dinners and nuke them. And generally if I want a hot lunch at work I need to nuke it as well because I don't have a stove and/or toaster oven at the office to use. I'm not against microwaves, I just don't need to own one.

Paper towels. I bought a two-pack of paper towels when I moved into this apartment last November. I have two sheets left. The most often use for them....in my greens in the fridge absorbing moisture so my leafy greens stay fresher longer. Spills....cleaned up with a cloth. I think the biggest consumption of paper towels in my house was when I cleaned the patio doors when I first moved in. I won't be doing that again. Next time...rags and newspaper.

My other green move this past year has been the lack of plastic wrap in my house. I haven't used any in over a year. Or waxed paper. And up until my camping trips no foil wrap. I save all my margarine dishes and plastic containers that my food comes in and transfer food to these dishes instead of covering the plate with plastic wrap. Much better decision for the earth and it has no doubt also saved me money.

Those who know me know I am not a tree hugger. Heck, my truck is not exactly the most gas friendly vehicle on the go....but I don't see anything wrong with making good choices where I can.

My next move is to find a more earth friendly laundry detergent that will still get my white sheets white. I tried to buy soap nuts in India but couldn't find them--even though that is where they are produced. I may need to bite the bullet and just order them over the internet to see if they really are a good alternative to Tide. As one of the girls in my office would say...Happy Monday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Two things... for getting whites white in an enviro-friendly way go for an enzyme based cleanser. They work great.

Also, I agree so much on the microwave front. I use mine for heating up my "magic bag" when I have a sore neck. That's about it. Every day I look at it, I want that cupboard space back!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer: I don't think I am ready to give up my microwave yet. Re-heating a late supper is so much faster with it. After a 45minute commute I'm hungry!

I have mine on a little table so it doesn't take up my counter space. I never really thought about that being such a savings.

Is toast better in a toaster oven then in a toaster? I've never tried the toaster oven option.

I do use paper towel to cover what I heat in the microwave because you are not suppose to cover it with saran wrap. But you don't have a microwave so you are not using paper towel for that purpose.

Have you used vinegar in cold water to clean the patio doors and windows?? Does a grand job - better than newspaper.

Sounds like you are feeling better too and that is great to hear.

Edith

Carolyn H said...

Funny, but the one thing I wouldn't give up is paper towels. Of course, I have pets and when they throw up or toss a hairball, I head for the paper towels. I don't mind using a towel or rag for ordinary kitchen cleanups, but for pets, I want those paper towels!

Carolyn H.