Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I survived the weekend. Barely. It is now Tuesday morning and I still haven't managed to get to work this week. By a strange (but wonderful) twist of fate I had a dr appointment booked for Monday afternoon. I showed up extremely early and got the pity vote and was allowed in earlier than expected. As I went over my symptoms and he stuck the thermometer in my ear. "Whoo. You definitely have a fever." Diagnosis sinus infection. Gave me a scrip and sent me on my way but am supossed to come back in a week.

I took the first dose around 2:30pm.

Conversation with my mom: "I don't feel good. Make me supper." Which of course wasn't happening due to the over 3000km difference in our addresses. I got off the phone and decided some of those nice soft kleenex with the lotion were in order. I decided it would also be a good idea to pick up some supper. Rather than ruin an old favorite with sick taste buds I headed to Quiznos. I finally drag myself home and once again settle in on the couch. My BFA calls and as we chat I rudely chew my flatbread in her ear. I finish supper we continue chatting. Then I start scratching my arm. And I find I'm feeling kinda itchy allover. I figure the fever is spiking again. I finally look at my arm and say on the phone "My arm is covered in red spots" We discuss the spots and hang up. I head to the head and upon lifting my shirt notice that my entire torso is covered in large red spots. Scary.

I freak out for a few minutes. Then finally call the 24 hour RN hotline that AB has. As I wait on hold I google hives, allergic reaction, etc. After a few more minutes on hold I decided to head to the pharmacy. Pharmacists always know. Sam the pharmacist says definitely an allergic reation and gives me benedryl and sends me home. He didn't listen to my whole story about the new food and the new medication. He just figured it was the meds. I called the pharmacy I got the scrip from and they suggested that based on the timing it was the food.

The benedryl kicked in within 4 hours and I was hive free all night. I took a second dose just in case, but the problem hasn't come back. I'm hoping to be back in the office tomorrow...if for no other reason than a change of scenery. I have spent so much time on my couch since Friday night I will soon need to re-arrange the furniture for a different point of view. I hate being sick.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh crap...

That makes for quite a day. Hope you're feeling 100% soon! (or at least no longer breaking out in hives!). I was uer you were going to say chicken pox (but in hind sight, I imageine you probably had it as a kid).

B.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:

I hope you are one of those people who get sick about once every 5 years and this was year 5. You sure covered most everything - the allergic reaction was the kicker. Thankfully you got that under control quickly. Sometimes it is nice to be home sick for a day but after a day you get tired of being sick and want to go back to work.

I hope you are well enough to go to work and that you are not miserable all day when you get there.

Edith